All this waiting!

It’s killing me! I have 15 gallons of beer in my basement, all in different stages of fermenation. I CAN"T HANDLE IT! I am soooooo excited to know what they taste like and I just don’t know if I can wait! I have a chocolate stout sitting with the cocao beans in it, getting all happy together. I have an imperial red just finishing up and resting for another week. And I have an IPA that I just brewed that is in the middle of active fermentation.

1 Like

Hey, at least you can brew more than one 5 gallon batch at a time… I only have room for one in my home-made fermentation chiller.

You can always take a sample to check the specific gravity, and then taste your sample. I do this from time to time in the weeks after primary fermentation has completed, and it has given me a really neat insight as to all the changes that occur during the long wait… :smile:

1 Like

You could always start with a beer in the fermentation chamber for just the first few days, then let it warm up. That will minimize the off flavors enough, and let you get your pipeline filled up.

The only problem with that approach for me is that I live in sunny Southern California, and it can get quite warm in the areas of the house where I could keep five gallons of fermenting beer… For some reason my wife does not like it when I place a bucket of fermenting beer for a week or two in the downstairs living room where it is nice and cool most of the time … :blush:

For now I am very happy with my “Son of Fermentation Chiller” in the garage.

Plus, look at @in_the_basement, it seems like he is going crazy with his three batches fermenting at the same time… :smile:

As @uberculture said, the first 3-4 days are the most crucial unless you’re fermenting cool (lagers or 59°-60°). After that yeast can benefit from warming up a bit so they finish their job.

May you eventually reach the stage where I am- over 300 bottles of more than 14 different varieties.
Now let’s see- what am I in the mood for?

1 Like

He’s got it well under control… I have 28 in process right now.

It’s all about the pipeline. Everyone has to find their brewing rythm. I didn’t hit if until I started doing ten gallon batches. Before that I had yo religiously brew every two weeks. Now if I gave the time to brew twice a month I can build up stock. This Sunday I’ll do a double brew day 20 gallons because I’ll be in Colorado for two weeks and I like to have fermenters going while I’m gone.

1 Like

Nailed it! All depends on how much space you have and how often you brew. It takes awhile to develop a pipeline, but every month or so I have a batch or two maturing perfectly. The kinds of stuff that breweries like to charge $10/bomber for, which is pretty outrageous. Find your balance!

It does! My advice:
Brew some young drinkers, some that benefit from a few months of aging and 1 or 2 that benefit from extended aging. That way you always have beer ready.

I still buy loads of commercial, but it’s nice to know I have a rotating 10-15 gallons of beer in various stages at any given time. I’m actually facing a bottle shortage for the first time in ages right now… time to see if last falls cider has aged well enough to make some room ;p

know how you feel my wife not happy did take my grandsons room and did transfer it to a beer area she does not like the smell and the new kegurator its a monster . got at the moment four beers busy fermenting . got a ipa almost ready and two other beers two more weeks do think did brew tuessday a death ringer ale. and did transfer yester day a chinook ale to the beer keg . live is good