All this nice weather and I can't brew!

So frustrating. I have the time to brew. The weather is surprisingly nice right now (I was banished from brewing in the kitchen long ago). I have two nearly full tanks of propane. I have ingredients to brew about 7 batches or so, most of them double batches. I just can’t brew mostly because I can’t do the lifting and all. All of my gear is stored in the basement (steps, not a walk-out). I was gravity flowing my all-grain setup using my work truck as a brew sculpture. Even if I had a pump, I’m not able to do the steps that much, can’t haul the grains around, and can’t move the fermenters.

Probably going to be a couple months before I can do any of that. And by then I may end up having to work a lot to try to catch up. I just want to brew! Anyone around Western Pennsylvania want to come help? Lol…

Do you have a local home brew club in the area? Most likely would be some members with free time to help out a fellow brewer. Another person in the neighborhood that could use your situation as training sessions for brewing their own beer.

I’m down in Cecil, would love to come help out, but scheduling a full day is slightly difficult with 4 kids and convincing SWMBO to let me go. :innocent: I’m not planning to brew for the next two weekends because I just put two new batches in the carboys the past two weekends. This weekend is definitely out but the weekend of March 3-5 I may be able to swing some time. I could bring my burner, 70 qt cooler, and 10 gal kettle and help you blow through a double brewday to get the most bang for your buck out of the day. Would you be able to handle transfer after fermentation complete if I can come help with brewday?

:beers:
Rad

4 Likes

What neighborhood? Lol… I’m out in the country where I can’t see a neighbor. It’s nice except when you need a hand, lol

Now that sounds like a plan! Hope the weather is good! Double brew day would definitely be nice to pull off. I think I can handle getting stuff racked and bottled on my own. I’ll have to do it in the basement instead of upstairs like I usually do, but that’s not really a problem since I don’t sanitize in the sink anymore. I use plastic fermenters, so I don’t have to worry about someone not being careful lifting glass.

Shoot me a PM and we’ll see if we can’t get something worked out. :+1:

Rad

2 Likes

Well, thanks to Rad, a double batch of RIS and a single batch of IPA are in the fermenters. And I’m exhausted (this whole recovery thing sucks, lol). Somehow I had a couple oversights, I forgot to get the oats for the IPA, didn’t have the grain for the Blonde Belgian I planned to do (and bought yeast for), and had to sub some regular caramel malt for some Special B to make the RIS work, but I’m confident it will make beer.

8 Likes

It was indeed a good day, and we got done before the snow! :innocent: Hope they work out well for you!

Rad

6 Likes

I’ll definitely save you some bottles out of them, @radagast! Didn’t make it down to check on them yet, power went out this morning and I had to go to therapy. Need to see about getting some of my stuff bottled, lol.

Glad we had a good day for brewing! I was worried about planning something with the way the weather has been!

I think a big hats off to Radagast for his effort to help another brewer! Way to go!! Sneezles61

3 Likes