Ale Fermenting Temps

I know ales best ferment at 62-74, my indoor temps are usually around 78 so I bought a used fridge and built and I’m using it with the STC-1000 controller.

I’ve had it at about 62F but wondering if maybe I should ease it to 70 to conserve energy. What’s the best ideal temperature I could set it at?

Also I heard temprature is only critical at initial fermentation. Could I take it out of the fridge and put it inside my house and turn off the fridge at some point?

BTW my first brew which is in fermentation is the Irish Red Ale that came with my kit.

TIA

Gabriel

I prefer to ferment in the low-mid 60’s, beer temp.

You will commonly see it posted that temps are critical during the first 2-4 days. Past that the majority of fermentation should be done. Reducing the likelihood of off flavors.

Depending on your local rates, the cost of running a fridge/freezer to control fermentation is only going to add $5-10 to your electric bill. I would rather spend the money and have better tasting beer. Than spend less and have what I would consider sub standard beer.

In the end, it’s what taste good to you. If you like the flavor profile of a particular beer fermented at 70* verses one fermented at 65*, set your fridge to the warmer temp.

In my limited experience if the ambient is 61 the beer is about 5 degrees higher in my basement. Now I don’t use a ferm chamber, but if it’s 61 in my basement, which is normal at my house, the carboy is usually 66-68 in the green. So far 66-68 has worked well for me and I only do IPAs so far.

Another theory is raise it to 70ish after 4-5 days to let the yeast finish up, but there again, I just leave mine and call it a day and I feel I make pretty good AG beer now.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I prefer to ferment in the low-mid 60’s, beer temp.

You will commonly see it posted that temps are critical during the first 2-4 days. Past that the majority of fermentation should be done. Reducing the likelihood of off flavors. [/quote]

THIS^^^^

Ok sounds like leaving it at 62 would give me better results. I’m starting to realize home brew gets expensive real quick. I already got $460 into this. I suppose once I have all the gear I need I’ll be set, unless I decide I really like this and give Mr. Bechman some serious cash. I suppose this is like other hobbies. I’m already in ham radio and I have a pretty penny invested in that.

Thanks for your help guys

Gabriel