Alchemy Hour

Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA is FANTASTIC! I tend to drink mostly <6% brews so I can have a few, but I’d gladly break the rules for this one. Nugget for bittering, then Mosaic and Cascade. GLBC really got these hops to play nicely together.

I have not had a crappy beer from Great Lakes yet, although I don’t love Conway’s.

Agreed - this beer has finally turned me on to IPAs. Had two on tap at the bar before I knew the ABV and had to cut my night short!

Just my two cents, but I actually think they use Nugget with Mosaic for the flavor and aroma component, as I get a good amount of that herbal quality Nugget gives off when I drank it.

Yeah, they may use Nugget in multiple stages. My palate was a bit muddled the other night when I tasted it, but thought it was flat out an amazing DIPA. Looking forward to more this weekend.

You guys are lucky to live in areas where GLBC distributes.

I also enjoyed the beer and it really didn’t seem like a 9.4% beer. I don’t really care for their Lake Erie Monster which is their other DIPA but this was much lighter and more refreshing.

If you have the packaging and are into collecting beer related stuff you might want to hold on to it. Due to some legal issues regarding the name with (I think) Widmer who have claimed trademarked infringement for beer name they are changing the name and slightly changing the packaging for future runs starting next year. Whats brewed and packaged is still being sold but when it’s done “Alchemy Hour” will be no more. They claim next years run will be the same recipe though.

[quote=“droberts0503”]I also enjoyed the beer and it really didn’t seem like a 9.4% beer. I don’t really care for their Lake Erie Monster which is their other DIPA but this was much lighter and more refreshing.

If you have the packaging and are into collecting beer related stuff you might want to hold on to it. Due to some legal issues regarding the name with (I think) Widmer who have claimed trademarked infringement for beer name they are changing the name and slightly changing the packaging for future runs starting next year. Whats brewed and packaged is still being sold but when it’s done “Alchemy Hour” will be no more. They claim next years run will be the same recipe though.[/quote]
I agree: it does not drink at all like a strong beer. The bitterness character is smoother than most DIPA’s. I had Erie Monster on one of my Cleveland layovers last year (I now schedule intentional long layovers in Cleveland whenever I can, specifically so I can stop by the GLBC pub) and I only remember liking it a lot, but I don’t remember enough detail to compare.

I’ve already got a clean AH bottle waiting to join my wall of bottles, but I have to make the hard choice of which bottle to recycle to make room for it. :frowning:

For sure a delicious brew!!! Got to have it on tap in Ohio. Glad to see the local sixer shop picked it up as well. +1 for Lake Erie Monster as well.