Alaskan Winter Ale

I’ve liked everything I’ve had from them. I saw this and decided to give it a try not knowing what it really is. It states they used spruce tips. It tastes like it has blueberries in it too. It’s a very strange but good beer.

Anyone tried this? Know what these flavors are from?

The berry flavor and spruce both come from sitka spruce tips. Good stuff.

Enjoy those while they’re fresh - I left one in the fridge for about 9 months and it poured with some weird gelatinous goo. I dumped that one.

I’d like to know more about how they use the spruce tips in the brewing process. I emailed them a question about it but they didn’t respond. Must be a trade secret.

I’ve been looking to create a very piney IPA, and cannot seem to get what I’m looking for (pine cone). I was told to try spruce tips, but this isn’t piney to me.

Simcoe hops.

I’ve used Simcoe and Chinook, but it didn’t have the punch I was looking for.

One day I had bought a 24 oz bottle of Sierra Nevada’s Torpedo IPA, and it socked it to me! I didn’t like it at first as it tasted like I was sucking on a pine cone. But after a while it kinda took me back to when I lived outside of Colorado Springs. It grew on me, and I’ve not had another Torpedo taste the same, nor been able to recreate it. I assume there was something wrong with that one beer, but I liked it!!!