Airlock suck back concern

I took my bucket out of my ferm chamber yesterday and brought into the other room, as soon as i placed it down it started sucking back nasty star san into the beer…I am a little concerned cause for one the star san was a little cloudy and im worried about contamination and i dont know why it sucked back cause the temp did not change all i did was move it to another room…really pissed me off…This beer smelled too good i hope its not contaminated…Anyone ever have their beer ruined from suck back? How can i prevent this from ever happening again?

Use cheap vodka in your airlock. That way if it gets sucked into the beer, who cares? :cheers:

Thats what im gonna use from now on

Thats what im gonna use from now on[/quote]
I’ve started using the 3 piece airlocks when I cold crash for this reason. No way for the liquid to get back down the tube. I use star san in them and it’s such a small amount I don’t think it could hurt anyway.

Thats what im gonna use from now on[/quote]
I’ve started using the 3 piece airlocks when I cold crash for this reason. No way for the liquid to get back down the tube. I use star san in them and it’s such a small amount I don’t think it could hurt anyway.[/quote]

I should have mentioned i am using a blow off tube and it sucked back at least 1/4 cup of star san, I have had suck back with the 3 piece airlocks in the past probably cause i filled it too high…If only they made mini silicone stoppers that could fit in the bucket grommet.

I am assuming your blow-off started with a normal, usable-strength dilution of Star San. You say “at least” 1/4 cup, but let’s just say your blow-off sucked a 1/2c Star san into a batch of exactly 5 gallons. That’s 4 oz, Star San Solution added to 640 oz of beer (128x5). You’re beer is still only 0.62% Star San Solution. - That’s not sounding terrible so far.

Star San turns cloudy as it loses potency, so I doubt it’s contaminated except possibly by your own beer’s krausen. Do you have any other reason to believe there is a more obnoxious contaminate.

Star San is made to not “throw-off” flavor, at those concentrations I’m not sure you’d have a flavor problem.

It probably wont be your bestest batch ever, but I wouldn’t call it ruined just jet. I’d be willing to bet you’re fine.

[quote=“JMcK”]I am assuming your blow-off started with a normal, usable-strength dilution of Star San. You say “at least” 1/4 cup, but let’s just say your blow-off sucked a 1/2c Star san into a batch of exactly 5 gallons. That’s 4 oz, Star San Solution added to 640 oz of beer (128x5). You’re beer is still only 0.62% Star San Solution. - That’s not sounding terrible so far.

Star San turns cloudy as it loses potency, so I doubt it’s contaminated except possibly by your own beer’s krausen. Do you have any other reason to believe there is a more obnoxious contaminate.

Star San is made to not “throw-off” flavor, at those concentrations I’m not sure you’d have a flavor problem.

It probably wont be your bestest batch ever, but I wouldn’t call it ruined just jet. I’d be willing to bet you’re fine.[/quote]

Good point…I quess i should just RDWHAHB

Beer volume expands and shrinks with temperature. If your beer will undergo any temperature change, remove your airlock after fermentation is done and fill the hole with some cotton swabs. If it works for scientists, it will work for brewers.

good idea…cheers

Foam stoppers are also an option or use an “s” airlock with a little less liquid in it.

An airlocks worth of star san will not hurt your beer. Don’t worry about it.