Aging in keg

I’m pretty lost on aging in a keg. It sounds like most people age their kegs in their keezers? Would’nt that stop the beer from aging, since it would be too cold for the yeast to work?

You can age in keg in or out of the kegerator. Of course aging cold slows the process.

what psi should i use for aging not in a freezer

You can hit it with 30-40 psi to seal it up. Then leave it off the gas.

Or you can set the lid, then leave it on a pressure that is appropriate for the carbonation level you are looking for.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Im still new to the kegging thing. that chart is kinda confusing me.

Look for the temp that your keg will be at, left side of chart. Trace it over to the carbonation level you want (volumes of co2), in the middle. Then trace it up to find the psi to set your regulator at.

Say you have your fridge set for 35*, you want 2.5v, set your regulator to 10psi.

If you have the keg at room temp, say 60*, and you want to have it carbonated at the same level so you can drink it a couple days after it hits the fridge (time to cool down), you need to set the regulator to 23/24 psi.

ok thank i got it now, thanks! My plan is to leave the kegs in the basement till I find a fridge to have a control environment so they can age better then leaving them in the keezer

Good plan.
You can age beers out of the fridge at cellar temps. I do it all the time for certain brews (and some of them never see the fridge, even at serving time).
Of course, cleanliness=goodliness when aging at less than fridge temps.

If cold for every beer is your thing, it’s perfectly fine to age out of the fridge and then chill it down before serving.

Individual preference and setup restrictions, as always, rule the day.
Given the proper time however, aging in 33°F cold does definitely enhance clarity…even if the beer is eventually served at a less frigid, flavor enhancing temperature (50-55°F).
:cheers:

I have a simple question. If my process is two weeks in the primary and one week in the secondary, how long should I have to wait to enjoy my new brew out of the keg. Its carbonating/conditioning in my basement at a constant 60 degrees.

Thanks Guys

Time is the one factor that is not constant when it comes to forced carbonation.

You have the temperature and preasure set for desired CO2 level. It will be ready when it is ready. When working with higher temperatures I do find it takes quite a bit longer as well.

The colder the beer the easier CO2 is disolved.