AG Smoked Stout?

What do you guys think about my grain bill? I am a little worried because I do not want overwhelming smoke. Also this is my first time throwing a recipe together. I also am up in the air for the hops.

Grain

• 8 lbs. Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pils Malt

• 1.75 lbs. Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt

• .75 lbs. Roasted Barley

• .75 lbs. Chocolate malt

• .75 Flaked Barley

Hops

• 1 oz. Challenger @15mins

• 2 oz. Fuggles @60mins

Yeast

• Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

All comments welcome!

I’m curious to see what other people think but that seems like a bit much to me. Looks like you’re around 14%. I used that malt only once so I don’t have a ton of experience but when I did it I used 21% in an imperial stout with a bunch of crystal and a high ABV and IBUs to balance it out and it was still pretty smokey for me. The description says 5-10% for a noticeable smoke flavor.

I’m wondering if it will fade overtime though. If you stick with your recipe and it is too much will it mellow out in two or three months?

Yea i have done a number of smoked porter, 20% smoked malted will give a nice back round smokiness

I used the Briess Cherrywood in a Robust Porter and turned out great! I’m a real fan of smoked beers so used about 30% in the recipe with a balance of caramel, chocolate, and black patent. The smoke was prominent (not overwhelming) initially but has really smoothed out over a month/two of aging and melded with all the other flavors very well.

IMO if you’re not a huge fan of smoked beers start lower…you can always adjust it on the next batch.

Is there a reason you are using Pils malt as a base vs a Pale malt?