AG pumpkin ale idea?

hey all,
just read about “Great pumpkin ale” in craft beer news and this is how they make their pumpkin ale…

“Whole, fresh pumpkins are chopped and shredded by hand and added directly to the mash tun, contributing fresh pumpkin flavor to this beer”

I am about to make my first ever AG pumpkin ale with fresh pumpkin or squash later this week with Wyeast 1332 slurry from Caribou slobber.

thoughts on trying this: shredding fresh (uncooked) pumpkin and adding to mash?

I wonder how much, and if I can fit into my 5 gal tun?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2 ... l-pumpkin/

Check this video out. I’ve read that baking them in chunks and adding them to the mash is the way to go but there are a lot of opinions out there. I think the chunks would be better because many people have experienced a stuck sparge with pumpkins so whatever you do I’d add a pound or two of rice hulls to help with lautering. I’m gonna try this out in a bit here with some homegrown pumpkins.

I did my first pumkin ale (AG) a few weeks ago and I’ll give you the following advice:
Before you brew the beer recipe mix the spices with some hard alcohol (vodka) this stuff needs time to “brew” as well, so start it now. I used melanoiden and crystal 120 to add some color and aroma to my recipe but I used too much of both (1lb each for a 5 gal batch) so stick to a simple malt bill ESPECIALLY if you want to use actual pumpkin. Mash the pumpkin in chunks, in your mash, in some sort of straining bag- I used canned ( pureed, i’m now sure) right in the mash and it was so stuck I could not drain it even through my stainless colander. I hope to god that i can actually TASTE the real pumpkin in my recipe but I’m not counting on it. Longest brew day evar!

[quote=“pscdouglas”]I did my first pumkin ale (AG) a few weeks ago and I’ll give you the following advice:
Before you brew the beer recipe mix the spices with some hard alcohol (vodka) this stuff needs time to “brew” as well, so start it now. I used melanoiden and crystal 120 to add some color and aroma to my recipe but I used too much of both (1lb each for a 5 gal batch) so stick to a simple malt bill ESPECIALLY if you want to use actual pumpkin. Mash the pumpkin in chunks, in your mash, in some sort of straining bag- I used canned ( pureed, i’m now sure) right in the mash and it was so stuck I could not drain it even through my stainless colander. I hope to god that i can actually TASTE the real pumpkin in my recipe but I’m not counting on it. Longest brew day evar![/quote]

This recipe actually turned out drinkable, despite all the brewday problems AND a fg of 1.020. I kegged it and added my tincture of spices, turned out to be a little on the mild side (just as well, I’d have pitched the whole batch in frustration if the spices were too much) but drinkable. I swear I can taste the pumpkin but it could be because i was so well invested in this particular batch. I think I will “dry hop” with a vanilla bean to try and make the residual unfermented sweetness a little more girly.