AG is for suckers!

I lied. it’s awesome. but since I got you here under false pretense, I’m looking for opinions on base malts. so far, I’ve only used Rahr Pilsen malt. I like it quite a bit & still learning quite a bit. I’d like to know your favorite base malts & reasons why. help an AG freshie out!

Since you tricked my into reading your post, I’m assigning you homework:
#1: Read what Palmer has to say about the various base malts
http://howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

#2: Read up on SMASH brewing. You can get opinions about various malts from different brewers, but the only way to know how YOU feel about the different malts is to try them yourself with experimentation.

:cheers:

Anything with Weyermann on the bag suits me.

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”]Since you tricked my into reading your post, I’m assigning you homework:
#1: Read what Palmer has to say about the various base malts
http://howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

#2: Read up on SMASH brewing. You can get opinions about various malts from different brewers, but the only way to know how YOU feel about the different malts is to try them yourself with experimentation.

:cheers: [/quote]ahhhh, but I was asking your own personal opinion. I’ll find out on my own, but I respect the opinions of my peers.

I’ll try some out! now what keeps you in their “bag”?

A$$…Just kidding…

I’m in the process of going AG myself…I’m tired of all my beer tasting the same so I sure hope AG really does make a better beer…Got the mash tun made and now I’m looking for a 10-15 gal brew pot. I will be doing AG soon…

I’ll try some out! now what keeps you in their “bag”?[/quote]

Over 100 years of experience(!), great experience with their malt, and $40 per bag from my LHBS!

I’ve read great things about Weyermann. I’ve been excited to try it, but I have about 20 lbs. left of the Rahr Pilsen. have a few planned to use it up. any thoughts/opinions between pale & pilsner malts?

Aaarg! You Pirates are all the same. Lure the ship in only to raise the skull and cross bones. If you were to board my ship you would find rahr 2-row, crisp marris otter, werermann munich among others. My flint lock is loaded and i will shoot that goofy looking green bird off your shoulder, only so we can have dinner,…parrot braised in brown ale sauce, yummy. LOL! Actually i like the idea of doing a smash, it in itself will give you a lot of feedback. They say “to each his own” and a smash is a good way to find out what you like or dislike. I love being a homebrewer and there is always something to learn, everyday. cheers. ( ps…I really dont know if you have a green birdie…)

Marris Otter is awesome for simple Pale Ales. It’s the only thing I’ve ever bought in 50lb sacks :slight_smile:

I brew mostly west coast IPAs, Ambers and Porters. I use mostly 2 row as a base for nearly everything I do. It is by far the cheapest and I really enjoy its flavor.

Pils malt- Best Malz is the best of the maybe 6 or so I’ve tried. Durst is a close second. I like Weyermann, but I feel like it can impart a grassy kind of flavor sometimes. MFB and Castle are also very good pils malts

domestic 2 row pale malt - Rahr, with Great Western a very close second

Munich - I usually get 10L Munich. Best Malz is my favorite for continental Munich for Euro styles, but I find the flavor a bit too refined for use in American styles. For those, I turn to Great Western Munich. Big malty flavor.

Vienna - Best Malz

I use Rahr Pale malt for most ales. Excellent flavor and pricing.
Rahr Pilsen for my pils good price, good grainyness.

I also use Maris Otter by Crisp. Excellent for English Ales.

[quote=“wallybeer”]Aaarg! You Pirates are all the same. Lure the ship in only to raise the skull and cross bones. If you were to board my ship you would find rahr 2-row, crisp marris otter, werermann munich among others. My flint lock is loaded and i will shoot that goofy looking green bird off your shoulder, only so we can have dinner,…parrot braised in brown ale sauce, yummy. LOL! Actually i like the idea of doing a smash, it in itself will give you a lot of feedback. They say “to each his own” and a smash is a good way to find out what you like or dislike. I love being a homebrewer and there is always something to learn, everyday. cheers. ( ps…I really dont know if you have a green birdie…)[/quote]no green bird, but I do have a black cat named Black Beard that sits on my shoulder.

thanks for all the info guys! I’ve decided on Rahr Pale for my next sack! and I’ll play with the Munich & Vienna malts as well!

Rahr 2-row pale (not the pale ale) is a great domestic base malt that you can use to make a lot of different styles. Cargill 2-row is also pretty good.

At about 80 cents a pound you have about $8 in a 5gal batch. By reusing yeast and getting that cost down to a buck or so, your only real variable becomes hops and you can make a batch of beer for $12-20 for 5gal.

And I agree, if you suck down a lot of beer then AG is for you!

This is quite humorous :slight_smile:

Golden Promise

You don’t recommend the “Pale ale” malt? Is that aka “brewers malt”? If so, why not?

I like Golden Promise for certain styles, but it’s just too malty for the American styles I make most often.

I like Maris Otter and Golden Promise for English styles. I like Best Malz Pils for pilsners or lagers where pilsner malt works. I really like Gambrinus Pale Ale malt for some of my domestic ales. It has a little more going on than the standard domestic 2-row. For Munich I like Weyermann 10L (that’s the darkest they make and it’s dynamite in a Festbier) and I will pick up Weyermann Vienna but have also picked up Best Malz and it’s very good as well. I don’t seem to have a preference on wheat. I often end up with Rahr or Briess White Wheat and it seems very good. I have found that using the right grains for the right style is very important and this goes for specialties as well. Don’t use domestic C60 in a British Bitter when you can get one of the great Brit specialty malts from Thomas Fawcett or Hugh Baird. It’s just as important as using the right hops or yeast, IMO. Cheers.

I like Golden Promise for certain styles, but it’s just too malty for the American styles I make most often.[/quote]

Too malty? That’s sad.
I’ve only ever used it in scottish ales.