Aeration

OK, used an Oxygenator for the first time with this batch (my second batch). Being the typical guy, I didn’t read the instructions. Hey, my wife wasn’t around to remind me!

Anyways, I remember seeing online, maybe in this forum to aerate for 2 minutes with the oxygenator. I did that, but used up a whole canister of oxygen. WTH! Read the instructions after and it sounds like maybe I didn’t need to crank it open all the way. I’m guessing, and hoping, more oxygen is ok.

Just looking for general feedback, how many batches should an oxygen cylinder last?

I can easily get about 15 batches. You should only be opening the valve enough to see a trickle of bubbles at the surface of the wort if you are oxygenating in a bucket or carboy. I use an in-line oxygenation system and look for just a trickle of bubbles in the sight glass while pumping. I’m pumping and transferring for about 5 minutes, so the wort has a lot of contact time.

Yes, you can over oxygenate and it can lead to harsh flavor according to Jamil Z.

I,m afraid in this case the wife would be right about directions…lol. With pure oxygen 20-40 SECONDS is a plenty… Lesson learned for next time… (if your wife wasn’t there just shhhh about it…hehehe ).Tank :cheers:

I think I read some of the reviews on that product and it is notorious for leaks. May want to check the line and connections to ensure they aren’t leaking too.

I have one, just haven’t used it yet… Call me lazy, but I haven’t gone to the local Home Depot to buy an oxygen tank. My last brew I think my beer was plenty aerated by the transfer and then the minute or so of shaking I gave it :slight_smile:

Great idea, will check that

[quote=“Templar”]I think I read some of the reviews on that product and it is notorious for leaks. May want to check the line and connections to ensure they aren’t leaking too.

I have one, just haven’t used it yet… Call me lazy, but I haven’t gone to the local Home Depot to buy an oxygen tank. My last brew I think my beer was plenty aerated by the transfer and then the minute or so of shaking I gave it :slight_smile: [/quote]

I would have to agree. It sounds more like a leak.