Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Aerating Wort

How Important is aerating your wort prior to fermenting, and also should I aerate before yeast is pitched. Could I use an aquairum pump with a diffuser stone. any suggestions. THANKS!

I find that ariating your wort is one of the key things to making better beer. I would use the stone on the tube with an aquarium pump if I could afford it. right now I use an aquarium pump with a racking cane attached to it and run it for 25-30 minutes. seems to work fine so far.

25-30minutes is excessive. This is straight from Wyeast’s site:

Method DO ppm Time
Siphon Spray 4 ppm 0 sec.
Splashing & Shaking 8 ppm 40 sec.
Aquarium Pump w/ stone 8 ppm 5 min
Pure Oxygen w/ stone 0-26ppm 60 sec (12ppm)

You can’t over-oxygenate wort when using air.

Never said over-oxygenate. Just said 25-30min was excessive. Maybe I should of said it was a waste of time. Either way… there’s no need to oxygenate wort for 25-30min. 5min max.

Without a stone he probably needs to go that long to get to saturation levels.

mike f, do yourself a favor and pick up a pack of these: http://www.petco.com/product/6126/Lees- … tones.aspx

So why spend money and time on aerating pumps, stones, etc when it could take 30min or more to aerate the wort properly when shaking can do the same job, more effectively, in 5min?

[quote=“dobe12”]25-30minutes is excessive. This is straight from Wyeast’s site:

Method DO ppm Time
Siphon Spray 4 ppm 0 sec.
Splashing & Shaking 8 ppm 40 sec.
Aquarium Pump w/ stone 8 ppm 5 min
Pure Oxygen w/ stone 0-26ppm 60 sec (12ppm)[/quote]
I assume this is for a 5 gallon batch.
I want to confirm my thoughts on aeration. A larger amount of wort would require more time to reach the same levels wouldn’t it?

I would assume so. They don’t say: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Google: aerating wort without stone
Click on the first link. It will download a pdf of an experiment that discusses exactly this topic. It’s interesting.

Well, I would question what “more effectively” means in this context. Once you reach O2 saturation (9 ppm at ale temps, 12 ppm at lager temps) no aeration method is more effective than any other. To exceed those levels you have to infuse concentrated O2.

Your time scales are a little off compared to most sources. 5-10 min with an air pump and stone, or 1-2 min of shaking, should get the wort saturated. Shaking is undeniably a more efficient use of time, but with a pump you can plug it in and go do something else.

Plus shaking is labor-intensive and potentially dangerous - especially if you ferment in glass. I have about $12 invested in my aeration setup, and I think that’s money well spent.

All else being equal, yes. You could, for example, increase the flow rate or the number of diffusers to compensate.

I used to use a wine degasser hooked up to a drill and that worked pretty well. I bought one of these recently and have been happy so far. Much quicker.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS ... -P699.aspx

[quote=“Lynux”]I used to use a wine degasser hooked up to a drill and that worked pretty well. I bought one of these recently and have been happy so far. Much quicker.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS ... -P699.aspx[/quote]

I have this set up, and love it. It’s worth the money.

dobe12- the reason for ariating for so long is exactly what a10t2 stated. I am compensating for not having a stone, I also just set the pump and get every thing cleaned up while it’s doing its thing.

a10t2 - How to you sanitize those pet store stones? I looked at them but questioned getting funkeys in my wort.

So we have been using the drill bit attachment thing lately and I like it because it is easy and quick. Does that aerate your wort any better than just shaking? We do it for about a minute. I haven’t found any stats out there for this method

First, I make sure that the pump is always on when the stone is in the wort, so that little to no wort will flow back into it. To sanitize, I just soak it in the fermenter while I’m sanitizing that.

Second, I throw them away every few batches.

Currently, I have been using a teflon coated paint stirer with my 10G batches. I usually aerate for 2 minutes or so and fermentation have been quite figorous. I just can’t justify the money for the O2 tank set up. :cheers:

I use a mix-stir.

I use a stirrer attachment for my drill as well. Easy peasy! 1-2mintues and done.

a10t2: “your time scales are a little off”. Their not my timescales. They’re Wyeast’s.

Ops! I mean “they’re”.

I know how people on here can get touchy about spelling and grammar.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com