Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Aerate pitched wort or repitch new yeast?

I recently made my first batch of AG wort, but I am having what seems to be a long lag time after pitching yeast. I have a sample that I used for OG measure that I pitched a miniscule amount of yeast from the vial I used with the batch and it shows more activity after 3 hours than the full batch has in 24 hours.

I had complications that I feel may have led to decreased yeast viability.

  1. I usually “freeze” 2 gallons of water to top/cool off the wort after boiling. I couldn’t do that this time because (I’m a noob AG brewer) after sparging I had my full 5 gallons.
  2. I didn’t have a wort chiller (why is described in #1), so I had to cool the wort in an ice bath.
  3. It was VERY late, and I pitched my yeast too hot (85 degrees).

As of now, the wort in the bucket fermenter shows no signs of fermentation. I have not opened the lid to sample for gravity readings because I want to have a plan of action in place before I lend the batch to possible contamination.

I have been reading on aeration in trying to determine all the angles aside from dead yeast and I find many opinions on “when” to do so. I always shake and stir my wort prior to pitching, but at that temperature I think the oxygen may not have held in suspension.

My question(s):

  1. Should I attempt to aerate the wort now that it is cooler, minding the fact that it is 36 hours after pitching?
  2. Should I repitch with new yeast?
  3. Or both?

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Russian Imperial Stout, 1.068 OG (1.094 target), pitched with WLP060 directly

  1. no
  2. no
  3. no

With no starter, it may take a while to get starter. I wouldn’t do anything for another 24 hours. If no fermentation after that, pitch some dry yeast.

In the future, if it’s very late and the wort is still 85F, leave it overnight in the ice bath and pitch the yeast in the morning. You can seal the kettle with aluminum foil if you’re worried about contamination.

Thank you both.

I ordered an “emergency” supply of dry yeast which will arrive at the 72 hour window for pitching, if necessary. I’m hoping that isn’t too long. I know, I know…I’ve read how much reserve yeast most people have on hand for times like this. As a usual noob, I was just eager to be brewing again after years away from it.

In hindsight, I agree I could’ve waited to pitch, but at the time I wasn’t thinking I could just seal it up until later.

Next on the list, Grain mill.

My method took too long which is why I ended up stayin up so late in the first place.

Needless to say, all this is going in the journal.

I will let you know how things progress in a couple of days.

Good news. I had airlock activity last evening.

Thanks again.

I like to call it the 72 hour rule. Relax for 72 hours. Then worry.

[quote=“JonIce”]Good news. I had airlock activity last evening.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Great!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com