Advice needed - Post Dry hopping

I made a Pliny the Elder clone, and this is the 2nd time I’ve made it. This attempt is different from the first in that I racked to a secondary before dry hopping because I wanted to harvest the yeast from the primary.

The recipe calls for the dry hops to be added for 5-7 days after primary fermentation is complete. My OG was 1.076, and I was down to 1.012 after 2 weeks, so I knew I was pretty safe.

My question…since I dry hopped in the secondary, and the hops are to be in there for 5-7 days, after that time period do I go right to a keg or should I transfer for a 3rd vessel to allow the rest of the hop debris to settle?

When I transferred to the secondary, I had purged the carboy with CO2 to minimize the possibility of oxidation, and I’d do the same if I do transfer to a 3rd.

You can just rack it from the secondary right into the keg. In your case, the hops will either still be floating around the top or have settled to the bottom. You should be able to avoid the hop debris pretty easily.

If you can and want to, you can cold crash it to get the hops to all settle out, then rack to the keg.

My last batch was the Off the Topper kit and I just dry hopped in the primary. When it had been dry hopped for about 4 days I chilled it for another day to get the hops to fall down, then just racked right to my keg. I also added a bag of dry hops in the kegs though, and that bag will stay there until the keg empty :slight_smile:

[quote=“Templar”]You can just rack it from the secondary right into the keg. In your case, the hops will either still be floating around the top or have settled to the bottom. You should be able to avoid the hop debris pretty easily.

If you can and want to, you can cold crash it to get the hops to all settle out, then rack to the keg.

My last batch was the Off the Topper kit and I just dry hopped in the primary. When it had been dry hopped for about 4 days I chilled it for another day to get the hops to fall down, then just racked right to my keg. I also added a bag of dry hops in the kegs though, and that bag will stay there until the keg empty :slight_smile: [/quote]
+1 I DH all my IPAs in that way. Paint strainer bag of pellets in the keg.