Advice for Really Hoppy Pale Ale?

I’m an extract brewer with five or so batches experience. I’d like to brew a really hoppy pale ale for the summer, but not sure how to pull off what I’m hoping for.

I’d like the hop characteristics of a west coast IPA, especially in aroma, in more of a session pale ale with abv below 6%.

I’m looking at the Tongue Splitter kit because its description is closest to what I’d like, but some of the reviews have mentioned that it is not as hoppy as indicated. And simply judging by the number of reviews, it doesn’t seem all that popular… So if i use that as a base (it calls for 5 ozs of hops, .75 oz Summit for bittering, then mostly Cascade with Glacier and Liberty for aroma), is simply adding more hops the answer? If I add more early in the boil, what amount would be too bitter with the modest 6 lbs of Pilsen LME? Should extra hops only be added at the end and in dry hopping? What amounts?

I’ve learned a lot from this forum and searched for discussions about this, but haven’t found an answer. Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Don’t let the number of reviews, or even the rating/text sway you to much. Everyone’s taste buds are different. And not many people will write one.

I thing you should look to adding 2oz of hops after fermentation, dry hopping. That will give you the flavor/aroma you are describing that you want. With out the bittering.

Thanks. I will dry hop 2 oz extra.

Thinking about playing around with some different hops than already in the Tongue Splitter recipe. Simcoe seems to be in a lot of my favorite IPAs. One of the local breweries, Cigar City, apparently uses it as the only dry hop in their Jai Alia IPA. They also make an Invasion Pale Ale that smells really similar to Jai Alai as you bring to the nose, but is much more of a session APA.

Might go 2oz of Simcoe to the dry hop, then? Or 1oz Simcoe, 1oz Cascade…

consider 2 more lbs of LME then add .75 more summit at the start

then for dry hopping:

1 oz simcoe
1 oz amarillo or centennial
2 oz cascade

i’d also sub safale 05 yeast

6.50 gal Chicago, IL Water
1.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
5.3 oz Victory Malt (28.0 SRM)
5.3 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
5.5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.75 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Northern Brewer [10.60 %] @ 60.0 min (~33 IBUs)
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz U.S. Golding [5.50 %] @ 15.0 min (~6 IBUs)
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz U.S. Golding [5.50 %] @ 5.0 min (~2 IBUs)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1.0 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 7 Days)

I cracked the first bottle of this this weekend and it is pretty hoppy. Which is weird because it is only 3oz of hops total. Tastes like a grapefruit pine tree. I am very pleased with the end result and it came in at right about 5.1% ABV. It is a light, dry & crisp APA just in time for the start of yard work season.

[quote=“chris921”]I’m an extract brewer with five or so batches experience. I’d like to brew a really hoppy pale ale for the summer, but not sure how to pull off what I’m hoping for.

I’d like the hop characteristics of a west coast IPA, especially in aroma, in more of a session pale ale with abv below 6%.

I’m looking at the Tongue Splitter kit because its description is closest to what I’d like, but some of the reviews have mentioned that it is not as hoppy as indicated. And simply judging by the number of reviews, it doesn’t seem all that popular… So if i use that as a base (it calls for 5 ozs of hops, .75 oz Summit for bittering, then mostly Cascade with Glacier and Liberty for aroma), is simply adding more hops the answer? If I add more early in the boil, what amount would be too bitter with the modest 6 lbs of Pilsen LME? Should extra hops only be added at the end and in dry hopping? What amounts?

I’ve learned a lot from this forum and searched for discussions about this, but haven’t found an answer. Any advice appreciated - thanks.[/quote]

Bomb that sucker with 3 ounces of Columbus in the dry hop. It has become one my favorite hops for an IPA. I suspect it would taste and smell great in a lower gravity beer such as the one you are talking about.

I made the Tongue Splitter kit a coupld of years ago and it was the best homebrew I have ever tasted. Really hoppy and actually big tasting maltiness too… reminded quite a bit of Victory Hop Devil. Great beer.