Advice for my furst Russian Imperial Stout

I’m shooting for something similar to Old Raspitin but not a clone. Looking for a deep sweet caraml profile with a 90 Ibu range. Here is what I have so far.

15lb English pale
1lb Cristal 120
1/2lb Chicolate
1/2lb Crystal 80
1/4lb Roast barley

WLP002 English Ale w/2L starter.

Any ideas for the hop bill will be appreciated. Some say just a large bittering addition at 60min, some say to add an aroma addition as well. Any advice is welcome.

You might want to look at there imperial stout recipe.

http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes ... mebrewers/

[quote=“twotacotuesday”]15lb English pale
1lb Cristal 120
1/2lb Chicolate
1/2lb Crystal 80
1/4lb Roast barley[/quote]

Unless you like the flavor of burnt raisins, I’d tone back the C120 to around 1/4 lb. C40-C80 will give you more caramel. IMO, the darker you go with crystal malt the more raisin and then burnt raisin you get, especially in large quantities. Based on your description and sticking as close as possible to your recipe I’d go with:

15lb English pale
3/4lb Crystal 60
1/2lb Chocolate
1/2lb Crystal 80
1/4lb Roast barley
1/4lb Crystal 120

Although, that still might end up a little raisin-y with the combined effects of the C80 and C120.

Great. Thank you. I’m definitely going for more caramel than raisiny.

Keep in mind that as you go up in grain amounts and your grist:water gets thicker in your tun, you lose efficiency. …so I would recommend at least a couple pounds more malt and/or sugar of some kind, if you’re going for 90+ OG level.

I always try to mash for fermentability as I believe there are gonna ineveitably be alot of residual sugars from such a big beer (148 - 150F). Also, I like to use at least one and a half pounds of roasted malt for a RIS.

I think your amount of caramel is a little much for what you want. Personally, I think 1 - 1.5 pounds is plenty crystal, and two pounds may be a bit cloying. However, BJCP likes a thick RIS.

To me, I never understood the reason for aroma hops in an RIS. After the customary several months-year(s) of aging, the aroma hops are “gone.” Thus, all they amounted to was wort-sponges.

Good luck