Adding table salt to the boil

luckydog…I like your idea :cheers:

I think I’ll try that on the next rye I make, bottle 10 with salt, if it carbonates and she actually likes it then maybe I’ll bottle a batch that way.

Thank you all for all the posts!

I encountered someone 40 some odd years ago (while at college in the midwest) whom I witnessed adding a dash or two of salt to his glasses of beer. I had never heard of such a thing so, being curious, I asked why he did it. He said that it was “just a habit” that he picked up from his father.
He also allowed that it seemed to cut the bitterness somewhat as well.

He’d have to use a whole shakerfull in some of the beers coming out these days. :mrgreen:

I know this thread has gone quiet, but I remembered reading an article in Brew your Own about a salty German beer style called Gose. Since the style has been around for over thousand years this might be a beer style that your lady would be interested in.

Hope this helps.

Here’s the address to the May-June 2011 BYO Gose article(with recipe that calls for 0.75oz sea salt added to the boil):

http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2349-gose

If you are going to brew with salt I would use kosher not table salt, table salt has iodine in it.

Just to add in a couple more cents. I found out Schell’s Brewing Company of New Ulm Minnesota is releasing a batch of Gose in April.

Here’s a link about Schell’s Gose:

http://mnbeer.com/2013/03/19/schells-goosetown-gose/

I saw a guy add a little salt to a napkin and then set his beer on it. I was going to ask him why he did that, but it was a crowded restaurant at lunch hour with the first round NCAA basketball tournament playing (yes, it was at BW’s). Why he did that is now bugging me, since reading this thread. Any ideas? Maybe just to keep the napkin from sticking to the glass… weird.

:?

[quote=“ynotbrusum”] Maybe just to keep the napkin from sticking to the glass… weird.

:? [/quote]

yes. I do this, too.

I made an amber ale (5 galllon batch) using WLP 011 European ale yeast and I put 1 teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt in the boil just to change things up a little. There was a very slight salt flavor when it was green that faded out, and overall it was a tasty and very popular beer.

put some salt on the napkin and say that you can make the salt go through the glass. set the glass down kinda hard on the napkin and it will release co2 in the glass making it look like the salt went through the bottom of the glass.