Adding sugar to a recipe?

I happen to have about 30 lbs. of corn sugar on hand. I’ve heard and read that adding some sugar to a recipe can help dry out a beer and keep the gravity up. My question is, how much is enough? And when would I add it? To the boil like it was extract? Or as a late addition to the boil? I’m sure the amount would depend on the style or intended outcome. But I’m curious as to the best method on adding it, and how much is too much, or too little. So on and so forth.

Cheers, and thanks much.

Sugar ferments completely, so it will both boost the ABV and reduce the FG (from the presence of more alcohol). Keep the percentage low, maybe a lb or less per 5-gal batch, and you probably won’t notice the difference unless you did a triangle test. Go higher, and the beer thins out and the increased ABV is easier to detect. I add it at flameout, usually (to keep from scorching and to not mess with hop utilization).

My first batch I added 1# of honey and .5# of sugar to my cream ale and brought OG up to 1.060 my second batch was American wheat and added 2# of honey at flame out, with the same effect. It didn’t dry either beer out at all and on the cream I used us-05. Hope this helps

[quote=“rhino3hh”] It didn’t dry either beer out at all…[/quote]“Drying out” is relative to the particular recipe - I can make a Barleywine, mash at 158F, add three pounds of sugar, and it won’t necessarily be dry except when compared to the same thing made with no sugar (which will be at least 6-10 points higher in the FG). Try brewing that American wheat again with no honey and you’ll see what I mean.

I’d keep it under 10% of fermentables. On a 5gal batch of OG 1.050/ FG 1.010 beer thats an additional 4 pts/gal. So you’d add 20pts with about 1/2lb of sugar.

I’d also caution you to keep your ferm temps in check, I’ve found it more challenging to do this when there was a fair amount of sugar in the recipe. It will really take off on you.

So how does one happen on 30lb of corn sugar anyway?

[quote=“tom sawyer”]

So how does one happen on 30lb of corn sugar anyway?[/quote]

Haha! A few batches ago I had to work late, and my LHBS closes right around when I get off work. I had my girlfriend go and pick up some priming sugar for me. LHBS uses corn sugar. I told her I needed 2-3 cups. She mis-read the text and though I needed 20-30 lbs. Sooooo, I have plenty of it on hand.

I have no problem going up to 20% on some styles. If my beer has a high starting gravity, without the sugar, I’ll wait and add it to primary after the yeast has had a chance to take off. Otherwise I’ll throw it into the boil towards the end.

[quote=“HellBound”][quote=“tom sawyer”]

So how does one happen on 30lb of corn sugar anyway?[/quote]

Haha! A few batches ago I had to work late, and my LHBS closes right around when I get off work. I had my girlfriend go and pick up some priming sugar for me. LHBS uses corn sugar. I told her I needed 2-3 cups. She mis-read the text and though I needed 20-30 lbs. Sooooo, I have plenty of it on hand.[/quote]
Now THATS a great story! Should’ve had her pick up some DME instead, a 50lb sack of that comes in pretty handy.

Right! I’m about to brew an IPA for her. I might have her go pick it up and double the recipe. !!