Adding sugar at "end" of fermentation

I am sure this has been covered completely on the forum someplcae, but the search feature continues to disappoint me.

I held back the sugar for a Belgian Golden ale recipie for several reasons, one of them being that I wanted high attenuation before giving the yeast “desert.”

So now I am seeking advice on the best way to add the 2 lbs of sugar. My plan is to

Boil 1/2 gal water.

Turn off heat.

Dislove sugar.

Cool.

Attach hose to botom of (sanitized, of course) funnel (if I can).

Gently pour cooled sugarwater into fermentor.

Suggestions?

I would use less water.

I wouldn’t use any water, just add it dry out of a new package. Been doing it this way for years, no issues.

Have a brand-new 4lb bag of sugar. . . . Will measure out 2lbs and drop 'er in. No fuss, no muss. Thanks!

I would boil with the sugar for 5-10 minutes to kill anything wild and to eliminate oxygen. Dry sugar contains oxygen that is best expelled through boiling.

Dave,

Thanks. Makes sense. Great advice . . .but a bit too late for me. Dumped it dry a little while ago.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]I would boil with the sugar for 5-10 minutes to kill anything wild and to eliminate oxygen. Dry sugar contains oxygen that is best expelled through boiling.[/quote]Unless you’re boiling or CO2 purging your dryhops, you’re adding O2 with them, especially with leaf hops and even more if you stuff those hops in a bag and then drop it into the beer. I don’t worry about any of that as long as the addition is made gently and the beer is blanketed in CO2 (I wouldn’t open a 2# bag of sugar and just dump it like a cannonball).