Adding O2 to a high-gravity beer after pitching

Brewed a RIS yesterday, OG 1.118; pitched yeast about 24 hours ago. Aerated with an aquarium pump through a filter and SS airstone for better than an hour. Meant to give it another hit with the airstone this morning, but got busy and missed my window. Fermentation is now underway; nice big krausen rocking in the bucket’s headspace. Just added yeast nutrient at 24 hours on scheduled.

Thoughts on adding more air/O2 at this point (or, more likely tomorrow morning, around 32 hours after pitching) to encourage further yeast growth?

[quote=“schneidah”]Brewed a RIS yesterday, OG 1.118; pitched yeast about 24 hours ago. Aerated with an aquarium pump through a filter and SS airstone for better than an hour. Meant to give it another hit with the airstone this morning, but got busy and missed my window. Fermentation is now underway; nice big krausen rocking in the bucket’s headspace. Just added yeast nutrient at 24 hours on scheduled.

Thoughts on adding more air/O2 at this point (or, more likely tomorrow morning, around 32 hours after pitching) to encourage further yeast growth?[/quote]
I vote for leave it alone.

Also, an hour with an air pump seems unnecessary. I use an O2 tank for 1 minute; so 5-10 with an air pump seems about equivalent.

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, an hour is probably excessive; I believe previous posts here and info elsewhere have indicated 30-45 minutes to get the max ppm with this setup. I just got busy with cleanup and came back when I could. Certainly don’t think it’s going to do any harm, though, especially prior to fermentation.

With an air pump you would be increasing the risk of pumping an airborne contaminant into the wort. But it’s most likely still incredibly low risk.

Shouldn’t be a problem with an inline filter.

20% O2in air, 100% O2 in the oxygen set up that uses the red throw away bottles. IMHO invest in the O2 system that includes the .5 micron stone and regulator. Maybe Santa can help ya out.