Adding Less Hops to Extract Kit

This may seem novice, but after all I’m a novice. I am about to brew the American Amber Ale Kit and wondered what would happen if I added less of the hops than the recipe calls for. The recipe calls for 2oz of Cascade at the beginning of the boil and 1 oz 1 minute before the end. Could I add only 1 oz at the beginning or maybe even eliminate the last oz at the end of the boil? I don’t particularly like IPA’s or hoppy beer.

1 Like

Assuming you are referring to This Kit from our hosts. The initial 2 oz hop charge is your bittering charge. The 1 oz charge at 1 minute is more of an aroma hop, with a little additional bittering. If you reduce the initial charge, you will have a less bitter, more malt forward beer. If this is your first or second attempt at brewing, I would advise sticking with the instructions in the recipe, as this should be a pretty balanced easy drinking beer. Decide what you think of how the balance is on this recipe and maybe change it up if you decide to do it again to see what you think of the difference. That being said, the fun of homebrewing is experimenting so you’re welcome to make it your own however you like!

:beers:
Rad

5 Likes

Well welcome aboard!!
The first hop addition is to counter act the sweetness of the malt, (at this stage of brewing it’s called wort)… And hops also help to keep some wild bugs from infecting your brew… And hops also help to keep your brew drinkable for a little longer too…
As Rad sez, it’s your brew and should be able to do as you please…
Sneezles61

We also never talk about it but the hops offer a medicinal mellow that compliments the alcohol. (Cousin in the genus is equally as famous)

One of my favorite study titles of all time!
“ The Sedative Effect of Non-Alcoholic Beer in Healthy Female Nurses”

I’m afeared to read this one Squeegee…
Sneezles61

5 Likes

Well I clicked on the link and was disappointed. I’ll go back and read the article later. I always read the articles

3 Likes

Haha … funny subject. The study itself gives some evidence to the idea that hops create a relaxing effect

1 Like

Welcome to the fun hobby. For the first few brews indeed stick to the recipy. Learn from it. Ones you become. Familiar. With brewing and how your brew system behaves. You can start experimenting. But. Ask questions.

I did get through a part of the read and that seemed to be the point… Now I know why I really enjoy hoppy brews… Thanks Squeegee!! :mask:
Sneezles61

Man you guys are awesome! I took your advice and went with the recipe and will make adjustments on the next batch! Thank you for all of the replies!

2 Likes