Adding lactose to stout

I am looking at the PEACE COFFEE 2ND CRACK STOUT and really considering it. i am also torn between this and the left hand milk stout clone.

what would happen if i made the peace coffee stout and tossed in a half pound or pound of lactose somewhere during the boil? would i get a milk chocolate coffee stout? or would it be so darn icky sweet you wouldnt want to drink it?

thanks in advance.

[quote=“gonavy1066”]I am looking at the PEACE COFFEE 2ND CRACK STOUT and really considering it. i am also torn between this and the left hand milk stout clone.

what would happen if i made the peace coffee stout and tossed in a half pound or pound of lactose somewhere during the boil? would i get a milk chocolate coffee stout? or would it be so darn icky sweet you wouldnt want to drink it?

thanks in advance.[/quote]

A half pound of lactose isn’t going to give you that much sweetness or body. Give it a go if you’re feelin it.

If it were me, I would just make the LH clone though if you want a milk stout. That is a fine, fine beer (that just launched in NY!).

Go ahead and throw in some lactose. 0.5 to.0.75 lb is good for 5 gallons. A whole pound is too much IMHO.