Adding fruit to a sour

I have about 5.5 gal of sour red in a 6.5 gal carboy and am wondering if I can add fruit directly to the carboy. I don’t have an extra fermentor large enough to hold the volume of beer + fruit that I’m willing to put a sour in. I am going to add 3 lbs or cherry purée and 2 14 oz bottles of cherry juice concentrate. I dont want to introduce oxygen so I was thinking of purging the head space with co2 then using a funnel to add the purée and juice then purging the head space again. What do you all think? Thanks in advance

Sounds good to me! I think purging with CO2 is probably overkill, but never a bad idea. What microbes do you have in there?

1 Like

Was hoping you would chime in. There is brett, lacto, Pedio and sach. It’s a repitch from a golden sour i did. I grew up dregs from several bruery sours a stone enjoy after and pitched white labs sour mix 1.

I don’t think the quick hit of oxygen will be a problem, since you’re adding more fermentables. It’s a bigger threat with brett when you have long term exposure, or sample it frequently. Any oxygen should get scrubbed pretty quickly as the yeasts wake back up and start fermentation.

Sounds like a delicious beer! Maybe it’ll even get sick on you with adding the fruit like this.

I brewed it 8 months ago and just took my first sample today. It’s been in primary the whole time. Tasted pretty good. Hope the fruit puts it over the top.

1 Like