About to start building a keezer

I have a couple questions about a keezer I’m about to build.

1. I have limited space for this thing and one of them is the garage. Now I am getting a 20lb. CO2 tank and I know it will not fit in the freezer. So, would it be okay to sit outside in the garage when the temp can get to below 0 here in Minnesota?
  2. I also need a CO2 regulator and I have pinlock kegs and I keep on seeing ones that say for “corny kegs” Is there a difference, and if so what do I need?
    Thanks in advance.

There is local restaurant that has big tank outside for ease in refilling it. So no problems with the temp.

I believe that “Corny keg” are short for Cornelius kegs. The most prominent manufacture of these tanks. There were several others
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

The regulator is not specific to the kegs. It’s specific to the gas. As in the threading to the tank. The regulator body will meter any gas. As long as the connection to the tank is the correct one.

The thing you have to be concerned with is “ball lock” or “pin lock” connections. They are separate items from the regulator

you will also need a way to heat the inside of the keezer so the beer won’t freeze. A condensent light bulb on a controller will work for a heater.

Thanks, guys.
I thought you could set the temp on the freezer to handle higher temps.
The Co2 tank is coming from coke as it is only costing 90bucks filled

[quote=“BinxMeowington”]Thanks, guys.
I thought you could set the temp on the freezer to handle higher temps.
The Co2 tank is coming from coke as it is only costing 90bucks filled[/quote]

a freezer can only cool it has no heating ability.

This I understand. Maybe I should word that different.
I thought I could set the temp for the freezer so I could get a temp of about 45 degrees. Or are you implying I need the light to keep it warm because of it being in the garage?

The thermostat may not allow you to raise the temp that far. I’ve read a post on a different board, homebrewtalk?, about being able to change an adjustment screw to alter the thermostat. I don’t have time to look for it now.

You can try raising the thermostat all the way. If that doesn’t work, and you can’t change a set through, you need an external controller. See the links in my signature line.

Found the link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-s ... ol-249612/

[quote=“BinxMeowington”]This I understand. Maybe I should word that different.
I thought I could set the temp for the freezer so I could get a temp of about 45 degrees. Or are you implying I need the light to keep it warm because of it being in the garage?[/quote]

correct, the cold winter temps will make it neccesary to raise the temps in the keezer to prevent the beer from freezing.

Off topic, but some advice…

A problem I’m having with my keezer is condensation and some minor rusting at the seams. I read after I built it to seal the seams with some silicon ahead of time. Freezers are not meant to have any moisture in them (always frozen), so when they are above freezing, moisture can build. I live in a very humid area, so the problem may be worse for me here, then you may see, but I just wanted to pass along some advice from my build. I’ve put a couple dehumidifiers in there, too.

[quote=“sonex”][quote=“BinxMeowington”]This I understand. Maybe I should word that different.
I thought I could set the temp for the freezer so I could get a temp of about 45 degrees. Or are you implying I need the light to keep it warm because of it being in the garage?[/quote]

correct, the cold winter temps will make it neccesary to raise the temps in the keezer to prevent the beer from freezing.[/quote]
Thanks so much for the help.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]The thermostat may not allow you to raise the temp that far. I’ve read a post on a different board, homebrewtalk?, about being able to change an adjustment screw to alter the thermostat. I don’t have time to look for it now.

You can try raising the thermostat all the way. If that doesn’t work, and you can’t change a set through, you need an external controller. See the links in my signature line.

Found the link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-s ... ol-249612/[/quote]

This is how I did it only I also put a small fan inside that comes on with the compressor to keep the temp more even. Otherwise the freezers tend to get 5-7 degrees colder than the set point.