Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

A taste I dont like

Hi

I am new to making home made beer really enjoy it but I keep getting a taste i dont like. I have made an IPA and a Brown and they both have a sour end, a lemony taste. I have used the same tap water. I never wrote down the yeast i used in the brown but every thing esle about the beer is different. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this taste. V

Does your water have chlorine in it, and if so, do you take any steps to remove it?

No we have a well, we have a water softener, and an iron out filter.

Maybe the softener? If it does ion exchange with sodium, it can affect the flavor.

What about the ph level of the mash how important is that

It can be quite important. The first thing I’d try, though, is to draw water before it goes through your softener. Maybe send a sample of pre-softener water to Ward Lab (www.wardlab.com) . Get test W-6…it’s about $16 bucks or so. You’ll get all the water info you need for brewing. Even if it is your pH, you can’t start to adjust it until you have a baseline water report. You need to know what minerals are in your water along with the pH.

Do you know a web site that explains the information that a water test will give me

You can look at www.wardlab to see the info you’ll get. Then take a look at this https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge to help you interpret it.

You could try using spring/distilled water in your next batch. That would eliminate water as the source.

Agreed, while you’re waiting for water test results, use bottled spring water. Avoid distilled water at this point because you would need to add back ions such as Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfate and Chloride.
If the off-taste is gone, then you will know it’s something in your well water.

[quote=“James Rausch”]Avoid distilled water at this point because you would need to add back ions such as Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfate and Chloride.[/quote]That isn’t necessarily true, if the OP is brewing with extract the minerals would be present in the extract, you’re just re-hydrating it and RO or distilled water would be best since you don’t know what minerals and their concentrations are in spring water.

+1 to the RO water.

When we were brewing extract, all of our beers had the same off flavor. If you look up some of my old threads, you’ll find where I was describing it.

We switched to all grain at the same time we switched to RO water, so I can’t tell you that it was miles better. However, we did run our tap water through a Britta filter on our last extract batches and noticed a perceivable improvement.

[quote=“stompwampa”]+1 to the RO water.

When we were brewing extract, all of our beers had the same off flavor. If you look up some of my old threads, you’ll find where I was describing it.

We switched to all grain at the same time we switched to RO water, so I can’t tell you that it was miles better. However, we did run our tap water through a Britta filter on our last extract batches and noticed a perceivable improvement.[/quote]

When you say extract do you mean beer kit extract or malt extract as well

[quote=“vphoto”][quote=“stompwampa”]+1 to the RO water.

We switched to all grain at the same time we switched to RO water, so I can’t tell you that it was miles better. However, we did run our tap water through a Britta filter on our last extract batches and noticed a perceivable improvement.[/quote]

When you say extract do you mean beer kit extract or malt extract as well[/quote]

Both are the same thing.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com