A report on my trip to Beer Heaven

Gang: I posted a “trip report” of sorts on my trip to Vienna, Brataslava, Prague and Munich. It’s OVER HERE

on the Blueboard where I hang out most of the time. The pics and text start on page 4 around post #80. Enjoy!

AWESOME, Ken. Thanks for sharing. I thought it was amusing that in several of those photos of your wife, she was on her phone. Looks like an amazing time, I hope to make a trip to Bavaria/Czech Republic someday. Time to start brewing some lagers!

PS - I WISH Bud light tasted like Hopfbrau helles…

You, how much for your wife? Ha ha ha ha ha.

Excellent pics, sounds like you had a great time.

Magnificent, Ken. Any misgivings I might have had about you drinking Radler are way more than offset by my extreme envy of your tour. :lol:

Those dark Czech beers do sound wonderful. I’ve heard of them, perhaps from an Anthony Bourdain travel show a few years ago, but AFAIK they just aren’t available in the states. So let’s get on to some serious de-briefing and recipe formulation :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting the pics and info.

:cheers:

[quote=“BryanH”]Magnificent, Ken. Any misgivings I might have had about you drinking Radler are way more than offset by my extreme envy of your tour. :lol:

Those dark Czech beers do sound wonderful. I’ve heard of them, perhaps from an Anthony Bourdain travel show a few years ago, but AFAIK they just aren’t available in the states. So let’s get on to some serious de-briefing and recipe formulation :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting the pics and info.

:cheers: [/quote]
One of the brewers on that Blueboard told me to make sure I had some of the Czech Dunkel and also the Dunkels in Munich. The Master Dunkel at U Vejvodu was a little sweeter than the one at U Fleku. The ones I tried in Munich were Augustiner and Hacker-Pschorr and both of those beers were outstanding. I will say right now that there is no real hint of roastiness in these beers. They are dark, balanced, refreshing and delicious. I happen to have a “dark lager” on tap right now that I made with pilsner malt, some Munich 10L, some CaraMunich and maybe 1.5 or 2 ounces of Midnight Wheat (which gives almost no roasted flavor) and all hopped with nobles and fermented cold with 2124. It’s not any of these European beers but I must admit that it’s outstanding and not far from these. An extra ounce or two of the midnight might be all I would need to get closer. Also, I think my version is hopped more (25 IBU or so?) than these other ones. The Hofbrau “dark” that my wife was drinking was good but these others were better. Cheers Amigo!

[quote=“Ken Lenard”]The Master Dunkel at U Vejvodu was a little sweeter than the one at U Fleku.[/quote]Friend of mine has Czech heritage going back a ways and he’s spent plenty of time there, mostly playing music, drinking beer, and chasing the girls. U Fleku is his favorite.

Who cares about his job? What’s he do for fun? :wink:

Looks like a great trip, Ken. Your wife is like mine, she’ll put the phone down for a liter of beer. :cheers: