A recipe to renew my hobby

Hi guys!

So it’s been awhile since I’ve brewed, maybe a two months or so. I’ve finally run out of homebrew to drink, so I put a nice, quick and easy recipe together.

Was looking for something with a nice malt profile and good body. A little hoppiness on the back end, but not so bitter that it over takes the whole beer.

Here’s what I came up with. I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

6 lbs. Pale DME
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Crystal 60L
.5 lb. Munich
.5 lb. Special B

1 oz. Chinook at 60
1 oz. Chinook at 10

And then finish it off with a nice clean British ale yeast. Maybe wyeast 1335

Target OG is 1.065

Thanks guys.

As far as critique goes, I have a very basic idea of what kind of flavor some of those grains might impart. I open to adjustments.

[quote=“HellBound”]Hi guys!

Was looking for something with a nice malt profile and good body. A little hoppiness on the back end, but not so bitter that it over takes the whole beer.

1 oz. Chinook at 60
1 oz. Chinook at 10

And then finish it off with a nice clean British ale yeast. Maybe wyeast 1335

Target OG is 1.065

Thanks guys.[/quote]

If I were looking for a little hoppiness on the backend, but not so bitter that it takes over the whole beer I wouldn’t go with chinook.
Chinook is very assertive.

Thanks. I didn’t really want any kind of fruitiness or spiciness, maybe something kinda earthy or piney. I like how chinook has given me that before. But I’m open to adjustments. What else were you thinking?

Simcoe has a bit of piney to it that is less aggresive that chinook; it goes well with amarillo.

Far too much crystal. I’d cut it in half or more. The Carapils is largely redundant when using extract anyway, and that much Special B will make pretty much any beer taste like a Dubbel.

0.5 lb Munich wouldn’t be enough to convert a 3 lb mini-mash either, so in addition to cutting the crystal you’ll probably want to up the base malt.

Thanks. Maybe I’ll just add some sugar to keep the gravity up and reduce the crystal.

So heres the updated recipe

7 lbs. Pale DME
1 lb. Corn sugar ( I have about 15 lbs. on hand)
1 lb. Aromatic
.25 lb. Special B

1 oz. Chinook 60
.5 oz. Simcoe 10
.5 oz. Amarillo 10

How does that sound?

Have you brewed with Aromatic before? It’s pretty intense.

No. I have not. Any suggestions? I’m not neccesarily going for a Belgian style. More of an American strong ale

I’d go with a biscuit or Victory over Aromatic for an American style. Or replace it with some medium crystal.

Take the Carapils and the Munich out and your original grist looks pretty good for something vaguely Arrogant Bastard-y.