A Question about Yeast and Caribou Slobber

Howdy all,

I am new at this and would appreciate your input. I am going to order a Caribou Slobber extract kit but I have no idea what yeast to get. Looks like NB suggests Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. Any input on what and why one might be better than the other.

Part 2: Priming Sugar 5 oz, OR NB Fizz drops.

Thanks,
Lefty

By the way my first ever brew batch (Irish Stout) has been bottled for a week. Hard to keep from opening a bottle for a sample.

Just buy the kit.It comes with yeast.I have a caribou slobber kit here and it came with lallemand windsor british style beer yeast.

Our host gives you an option to choose dry yeast or liquid.
Dry yeast is easy to use, just sprinkle in.
Liquid yeast will benefit if you make a starter. You will also need to provide 02 to the wort.

If i had to pick between the two: Windsor----Yuk, but I made beer.
WY 1332— Yummy, yummy in my mother effin Tummy.

If I were to use dry yeast I would pick Nottingham, US-5 or Mutons gold, even S-04.

I’ve always used 1332. Slobber tastes very good.
Corn sugar for priming, but not 5 oz.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I’ll play the rebel here. 8)

Being your second brew, don’t be concerned with making a starter with the liquid yeast. Just smack the pack the night before and let it expand. Then add it to the wort after the boil. Your beer will turn out great.

Thanks fo all the responses. I appreciate it.

Lefty

I’ve read that the brewery uses WY1968, which is a nice yeast, but a pain to wash. Super-flocculent! I’ve brewed a Moose Drool clone 3-4 times with 1968, and it’s very good. :cheers:

FWIW I am drinking my Slobber right now and I used the Windsor Ale yeast. I did a side by side with Moose Drool and taste is very similar. I say either yeast is fine.

If this is your first beer my best advise would be to be patient before drinking. I almost cried after cracking a bottle open after one week. Tasted flat and unappealing.

After 3 weeks in the bottle. Fantastic!

Also. I slightly over carbonated.

Make sure you use no more than 3.5 oz of the corn sugar that comes with the kit.
It tastes much better if I pour and let it sit and fizz and warm a bit.

:cheers:

Thanks guys,

Once again I appreciate the input.

Lefty

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I’ll play the rebel here. 8)

Being your second brew, don’t be concerned with making a starter with the liquid yeast. Just smack the pack the night before and let it expand. Then add it to the wort after the boil. Your beer will turn out great.[/quote]

Surely, you mean after it has cooled down to the appropriate pitching temperature? Right?

[quote=“JPR”][quote=“Nighthawk”]I’ll play the rebel here. 8)

Being your second brew, don’t be concerned with making a starter with the liquid yeast. Just smack the pack the night before and let it expand. Then add it to the wort after the boil. Your beer will turn out great.[/quote]

Surely, you mean after it has cooled down to the appropriate pitching temperature? Right?[/quote]

If that needed to be stated… :roll:

Yes, try to pitch your yeast at the temp that you want to ferment at. If not, at least try for under 70 deg. Your beer will thank you for it.

Thanks again.

Lefty

Our host gives you an option to choose dry yeast or liquid.
Dry yeast is easy to use, just sprinkle in.
Liquid yeast will benefit if you make a starter. You will also need to provide 02 to the wort.

-New to brewing, did the Irish Red about 2 weeks ago with the dry yeast and getting ready to start the Caribou Slobber next weekend and I got the liquid yeast. What do you mean by making a starter? And providing O2 to the wort?