A little pump action

Getting ready to upgrade my system, I am tired of full body workouts on brewday, so what are peoples thoughts on pumps? There are alot of options, and I don’t know what I should be looking for. For the money I’m going to be spending, I’d like as much bang for my buck as I can get.

Cheers!!

I have a March 809 HS with the 815 impeller upgrade. Love it!

[quote=“Denny”]I have a March 809 HS with the 815 impeller upgrade. Love it![/quote]My exact same pump setup. Best bang for the buck.

809 HS, it’s fantastic pump, and I would suggest upgrading to the 815 impeller. The impeller that comes stock is very susceptible to air lock.

After a few brew sessions with this pump I see why this is recommended. Primes right up sometimes…others…not so great.

After a few brew sessions with this pump I see why this is recommended. Primes right up sometimes…others…not so great.[/quote]

Well, they don’t really sell it as self priming, so I cut them some slack on that. OTOH, with the 815 impeller it has enough pull that it pretty much does prime itself.

After a few brew sessions with this pump I see why this is recommended. Primes right up sometimes…others…not so great.[/quote]You’ve gotta let the air vent out for it to pump properly. Like Denny says, it is not self priming.

After a few brew sessions with this pump I see why this is recommended. Primes right up sometimes…others…not so great.[/quote]You’ve gotta let the air vent out for it to pump properly. Like Denny says, it is not self priming.[/quote]
My setup has silicone tubing with quick disconnects but it’s plumbed in like your cart - intake on the bottom, with the exception of the T with the air release valve. If that will make it prime better I’ll certainly give it a shot.

http://s695.photobucket.com/user/jayoun/media/IMG_0103_zps18f5763b.jpg.html

Here is a shot of my setup, the air valve (red handle) really makes it so much easier to prime with the stock impeller.

A friend of mine has two March 815 pumps on his system and wow are they powerful. He has a recirculating direct fire MT and we wound up clogging the false bottom; the pump had collapsed the tubing in on itself as well as bending collapsing the support slats on the false bottom!

I got a couple emails asking about the 815 upgrade. I got mone here and it included a thrust washer and o ring…http://www.tescopumps.com/servlet/the-5 … 000/Detail

Here’s my setup showing the tee off the discharge. I rarely have to use it but its there in case I do get air locked.

I have had a March 809 for years. The one on my brew sculpture loses its prime all of the time so I have to open the drain valve to get it going again. This is the first time I have hears of the 815 upgrade! Why didn’t you guys tell me :lol:

On my system when moving hoses from vessel to vessel, that little bit of air that enters the line just wreaks havoc on keeping it primed. I’ve been thinking about upgrading for a few months now and finally did, got it ordered from the folks Denny recommended (off their eBay store). Should have it middle of next week!

Now has anyone upgraded the pump head from polysulfone to stainless yet?

On my system when moving hoses from vessel to vessel, that little bit of air that enters the line just wreaks havoc on keeping it primed. I’ve been thinking about upgrading for a few months now and finally did, got it ordered from the folks Denny recommended (off their eBay store). Should have it middle of next week!

Now has anyone upgraded the pump head from polysulfone to stainless yet?[/quote]

Nope. Until I find something wrong with polysufone, I’m satisfied.

I ordered the upgrade kit from Tesco yesterday. Hope it gets here soon as I am running out of brewing time this year. Have time for at least one more then adios until spring.

[quote=“jayoun”]

Now has anyone upgraded the pump head from polysulfone to stainless yet?[/quote]

The larger impellor is awesome and it primes like a beast. You’ll be happy.

I did go with stainless when I broke the poly head (I’m a clumsy bastard). I wouldn’t call it an upgrade per se, it really doesn’t seem to matter for function, I just think it increased my odds of not breaking the head again.

Just upgraded to the 815 impeller. I was a little intimidated with the idea of breaking open that pump but it couldn’t have been much simpler.

Have to admit I couldn’t tell much difference between the impellers though. Is it something to do with the magnet?

[quote=“dannyboy58”]Just upgraded to the 815 impeller. I was a little intimidated with the idea of breaking open that pump but it couldn’t have been much simpler.

Have to admit I couldn’t tell much difference between the impellers though. Is it something to do with the magnet?[/quote]the 815 impeller is larger in diameter which makes more head.

Mine arrived today, here is a pic of the difference in sizes between the two impellers. Looking the mould lines on the 815 it almost looks like they just cut them down for the 809!

http://s695.photobucket.com/user/jayoun/media/IMG_0111_zpsd899b535.jpg.html