A life for a dead freezer

My kegerator freezer died and I needed a 14cu ft to replace it so my collar would fit. I found a 12cu ft for free so I took it and decided to use it as a freezer for hops, meat, pizzas…ect. Instead of throwing out my dead freezer I set next to the good freezer and piped cold air into it with a temp controlled fan.

The freezer gets down to 26 degrees and the dead freezer gets down to 40. with a little mod I can get both down to freezing but I will hold the dead one at 38 for keg storage.

Nice! On wheels a portable keggerator…

John

Shooot that turned out great. Maybe add another fan at the bottom to circlulate the cold air better and balance out the two. Nice franken frezzer.
:cheers:

Super idea. Good green solution. What size fan are you using? Thanks

Here are some better pictures, I remembered to hit “save” on my phone this time…

I think I will add another fan to help equalized the pressure, I can feel cold leaking out of the lid when the fan kicks in.

Great idea! I have a chest freezer that I converted into a refrigerator. I am using cobra faucets now but would like to add a wooden collar similar to yours for shank faucets. Is the collar pretty air tight? I keep it in the Florida room (I’m in Ohio). I wouldn’t be concerned in mild to cold weather but it gets blistering hot back there in the summer. I’m sure the compressor would burn up if there was too much leakage.

I have another working freezer in my garage with taps, It only holds 8 kegs and I need space for 15 so the dead freezer is only for storage.