A BIAB Brewday with lots of pictures

Thanks Micahkoll. :slight_smile:

Sure thing. As dobe12 said, it’s just a matter of getting used to the process for your sized pot. Here’s a nice calculator (can I mash it section) that gives you an idea of how much space the grains will take.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Looks like 16 lbs at 1.25 quarts per lb will put you at 6.28 gallons of space. It will be tight, but that should be enough to stir without making a mess.

NB sells a few bags that can be used for this, not sure they have a 10gal one but the 18x32 will hold something like 15lb of grain easily enough.

BIAB in a Blingman kettle is an interesting combination, the most economical method and the most expensive kettle.

[quote=“tknice”][quote=“shredd3r”]Thanks for the awesome pictures, I did my first BIAB yesterday. Lesson learned about pillow cases, they dont drain worth a SH!T!! Ended up dumping the mash into the mash cooler to do the lautering. Either way, still got 75% efficiency.

What kind of bag do you use?[/quote]
Thanks shredd3r! Nice job on your efficiency, way to save the day!

I bought the bag online from Jeff over at http://www.brewinabag.weebly.com.

Definitely recommend them![/quote]
tried using this link and it goes to some site about dirty carpet???

[quote=“rhino3hh”][quote=“tknice”][quote=“shredd3r”]Thanks for the awesome pictures, I did my first BIAB yesterday. Lesson learned about pillow cases, they dont drain worth a SH!T!! Ended up dumping the mash into the mash cooler to do the lautering. Either way, still got 75% efficiency.

What kind of bag do you use?[/quote]
Thanks shredd3r! Nice job on your efficiency, way to save the day!

I bought the bag online from Jeff over at http://www.brewinabag.weebly.com.

Definitely recommend them![/quote]
tried using this link and it goes to some site about dirty carpet???[/quote]
And so it does… hahah

Yes, I got an email last week saying the site address had changed. Forgot I linked it here.

Here’s the new address:

http://bagbrewer.com/

Enough about this BIAB chatter, I want to know more about these dirty carpets!! A true epidemic that deserves our undivided attention.

I just ordered and got the same BIAB last week. Haven’t used it yet but man, is it put together well! He even shipped it out the same day I ordered it and I got it 2 days later!
It looks perfect and though I don’t usually pay for something (at that price) sight unseen, I really needed a well built, strap bag like this. I know I won’t be disappointed.Most of my BIAB’s are 15lbs or less so I should have no problems.

[/quote]
And so it does… hahah

Yes, I got an email last week saying the site address had changed. Forgot I linked it here.

Here’s the new address:

http://bagbrewer.com/[/quote]

thanks and love the website by the way

lol i’ll bite one word electralux

[quote=“Beerlord”]I just ordered and got the same BIAB last week. Haven’t used it yet but man, is it put together well! He even shipped it out the same day I ordered it and I got it 2 days later!
It looks perfect and though I don’t usually pay for something (at that price) sight unseen, I really needed a well built, strap bag like this. I know I won’t be disappointed.Most of my BIAB’s are 15lbs or less so I should have no problems.[/quote]
Hey beerlord, use your bag yet?

what do you think?

yep, twice. Love it.
But, I need to devise a better way of lifting 15 lbs of wet grain but that’s me, certainly not the bags fault.
I’m brewing in a kitchen so a winch won’t work so for now, I use a collander and scoop out about half to another bag and bucket and let it drain…sorta do a mini sparge too.
But having the handles on the bag makes all the difference and I don’t doubt that it could hold 15 lbs or more of wet grain but I’m just not strong enough.

[quote=“tknice”][quote=“Beerlord”]I just ordered and got the same BIAB last week. Haven’t used it yet but man, is it put together well! He even shipped it out the same day I ordered it and I got it 2 days later!
It looks perfect and though I don’t usually pay for something (at that price) sight unseen, I really needed a well built, strap bag like this. I know I won’t be disappointed.Most of my BIAB’s are 15lbs or less so I should have no problems.[/quote]
Hey beerlord, use your bag yet?

what do you think?[/quote]

Hey tknice, can you post a link to your BIAB bags? Or send me some info on them and ordering?

[quote=“Beerlord”]But having the handles on the bag makes all the difference and I don’t doubt that it could hold 15 lbs or more of wet grain but I’m just not strong enough.[/quote]You could buy a second bag and split the grain between them - I’ll do up to 15 lbs of grain in three 5-gal bags and keep the weight of each in the ~15lb range when wet.

That’s what I’d do. I already have one large grain bag I got when I was considering mini-mashing, and I could get 2 more that are made to fit a 7.8 gallon pot for less than $10 each.

As long as the smaller bags are sturdy enough to handle 5-10# of wet grain (and I think the one I have easily is), seems preferable to the ordeal of trying to swing around 25-30# of grain and absorbed water in one big bag.

Interesting, so you actually BIAB with 2 or 3 bags in the same pot? That’s just too much common sense for this half Italian! It’s so simple, a caveman can do it. But, what about stirring? Does that present a problem?
I keep some painters bags around for smaller test batches, guess I can use those.

[quote=“Beerlord”]But, what about stirring? Does that present a problem?[/quote]I use C-clamps to hold the bags to the sidewall of the kettle while opening one bag at a time and stirring inside with a spoon.

Hey Beerlord–I put my mash paddle through the handles and lift with that which seems to help. I can stand over the pot though and you probably can’t on the stovetop.

Multiple bags are a great idea… anything to lighten the load.

dobe12–Here’s a link to the bags:

http://bagbrewer.com/

tknice, that’s it, I’m on a stove top. I have a burner but it’s just too hot to use it outside this time of year.

I should mention that I have your awesome Black IPA in rotation now, brewed a second batch that’s about ready to keg. I’ll be doing this one a number of times each year. It’s in my top 3 and #1 for black IPA’s.
Thanks again for sharing that recipe a while back.

[quote=“Beerlord”]yep, twice. Love it.
But, I need to devise a better way of lifting 15 lbs of wet grain but that’s me, certainly not the bags fault.
I’m brewing in a kitchen so a winch won’t work so for now, I use a collander and scoop out about half to another bag and bucket and let it drain…sorta do a mini sparge too.
But having the handles on the bag makes all the difference and I don’t doubt that it could hold 15 lbs or more of wet grain but I’m just not strong enough.[/quote]

Why wouldn’t a winch work in the kitchen? Seems like that the perfect place for one, and if the one you’re married to won’t do it get another, stronger one.

Of wait, thats wench. Nevermind.

I like that! I’ll ask my wench but she’s not always willing to try everything! If you have pictures, that would certainly help. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Beerlord”]tknice, that’s it, I’m on a stove top. I have a burner but it’s just too hot to use it outside this time of year.

I should mention that I have your awesome Black IPA in rotation now, brewed a second batch that’s about ready to keg. I’ll be doing this one a number of times each year. It’s in my top 3 and #1 for black IPA’s.
Thanks again for sharing that recipe a while back.[/quote]
Awesome! so glad you like it. I love that beer and haven’t had it for a while. Need to brew it again soon!