A BIAB Brewday with lots of pictures

No, I haven’t… but that is an interesting thought!

[quote=“shredd3r”]Thanks for the awesome pictures, I did my first BIAB yesterday. Lesson learned about pillow cases, they dont drain worth a SH!T!! Ended up dumping the mash into the mash cooler to do the lautering. Either way, still got 75% efficiency.

What kind of bag do you use?[/quote]
Thanks shredd3r! Nice job on your efficiency, way to save the day!

I bought the bag online from Jeff over at http://www.brewinabag.weebly.com.

Definitely recommend them!

Nice looking Brewcat. Maybe BIAB should stand for Brewcat Ignores A Brew.

thx Tom… btw, that sounds like a children’s book!

Brewcat Ignores A Brew

by tom sawyer

hehe :smiley:

Cool pics, what type of carbon filter is that?

I also do brew in a bag. I have a 36 gallon system, and normally brew 3 different beers on brew day.

I love it.

[quote=“Waylit”]Cool pics, what type of carbon filter is that?

I also do brew in a bag. I have a 36 gallon system, and normally brew 3 different beers on brew day.

I love it.[/quote]
Thanks waylit. Here’s a link to the carbon filter. It works very well and supposedly will last much longer than we will ever need.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-F ... e/14504321

I’m also looking to get another burner so I can do a 5 gallon batch along with the 10. Man, could get a little challenging depending on the timing of things. I can’t wait!

How do you usually stagger your three different brews? Do you have three mashes going or are some extact batches?

tknice,

do you have any issues biabing when using the Blichman kettle with the temperature probe sticking into the side of the bag?

I was worried a little, so I removed the temperature probe and replaced it with the filler nut/bolt/washer. I use a meat thermometer in the kettle when I BIAB, but the temp readings are inconsistent.

Good, because it’s really called Steep in a Sack, or SIAS

Really cool outline of the BIAB/MIAB/“other debated name” process. I have kind of thought about moving up to 10 gallon batches. But, the overall cost of a new “system” when my five gallon system works perfectly well, and the fact that more often than not, I would not want to brew 10 gallons, makes me think this might be a way to have the ability to do both options. If I bought one pot, for 10 gallon batches, that would be all I would need to add to the equipment I already have if I went this route…hmmmm… Then I could do 10 gallons for my house beers and 5 gallons for more of my “specialty” beers.

[quote=“tknice”][quote=“Waylit”]
How do you usually stagger your three different brews? Do you have three mashes going or are some extact batches?[/quote][/quote]

I mash all three brews at once, they’re staggered by 10 minutes. After conversion and mashout, the bags are raised with a chain hoist and the boil begins. Timing hop additions on three beers gets tricky sometimes, but it keeps it interesting!

[quote=“harpdog”]Good, because it’s really called Steep in a Sack, or SIAS[/quote]Well, that would certainly account for the awful efficiency and hazy beers that some people complain about with the method!

[quote=“biggestmuff”]tknice,

do you have any issues biabing when using the Blichman kettle with the temperature probe sticking into the side of the bag?

I was worried a little, so I removed the temperature probe and replaced it with the filler nut/bolt/washer. I use a meat thermometer in the kettle when I BIAB, but the temp readings are inconsistent.[/quote]

I think the probe may have put a small tear in my bag on a 36lb batch but I have since gotten another bag and I double up for large batches. I just have to be careful and push it away with a paddle when it’s time to lift.

Nice! I’ll try 10-15 minutes for my first time and see how that goes.

nice pics, makes me want to step up from extract. i just got a terkey fryer with a 7.5 gal pot. made my first full boil on the 17th.

Good, because it’s really called Steep in a Sack, or SIAS[/quote]

I’m not sure where you obtained your information, but it’s called Rest in a Ruck, or RIAR.

Hi TKNice,

Great pictures! As a new brewer about to make the transition to all grain I thought that you were not suppose to squeeze the grains since it can add some off flavors. I see that you were using a pitcher to sqeeze out some liquid out of the grains. What is your or anybody’s take on this?

[quote=“Shadk”]Hi TKNice,

Great pictures! As a new brewer about to make the transition to all grain I thought that you were not suppose to squeeze the grains since it can add some off flavors. I see that you were using a pitcher to sqeeze out some liquid out of the grains. What is your or anybody’s take on this?[/quote]
Thanks Shadk!

I read the same thing early on but there was quite a lot of debate and I’m pretty sure that myth has been debunked these days. We used to think squeezing would extract tannins and add astringent flavors to the beer. I’ve squeezed the last 10 or so (to increase efficiency) and haven’t had a hint of astringency.

To each his own though. :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

We are looking for a few more DIY projects.

If you have one that is written up with pictures, please PM me or contact us on brewgeeks.com

Thanks!

TK

Great pics! Thanks for posting. I just finished up my third BIAB and love the process. So simple for transitioning into AG. Also purchased a carbon filter like the one in your pics. Can’t wait to try it out.

hmm i’m fairly new only done two batches but already running into limitations with extract and really concidering this. Currently only doing 5gal batches so as long as my pot holds about 7gal should I be fine?

Definitely! I do 5 gallon, BIAB batches all the time. I use a turkey frier setup with a 7gal pot for the mash and a 5 gal pot for a batch sparge. I am limited to about 14-15lbs of grain or so. So if I want to brew a very high gravity beer I either do a slightly smaller batch, like 3 or 4 gallons or sometimes will up the gravity with some sugar, DME, honey, etc. But as a whole, I can brew most beers I make in my 7 gallon pot.