Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

90 min boil?

Well i am doing the Farmhouse Biere de table kit and noticed that its only a 60 min boil with 94% pilsner malt. Do you really think we need to do a 90 min boil? If we have a good hard boil shouldnt 60 be good enough.

I would do a 90 minute with all that pilsner. The extra time will ensure you boiled off all the DMS precursors.

Maybe they’re counting on a little sweetcorn flavor in the beer, its a fairly fruity rustic style. I don’t know that you automatically get DMS in any pils malt based brew at anything under 60min, but there always going to be a chance of something showing up. A good rolling boil of 60min will at least make it possible to drive off all the precursors.

I’ve got a glass of it sitting in front of me right now. I did a 60 minute boil, and I’m not noticing anything off. If it’s there, it’s being overpowered by all the other flavors.

Doing a 60 minute boil doesn’t mean you will end up with DMS or anything else, but you could. For me, I would just rather spend the extra 30 minutes to have piece of mind. I do a 90 minute with just about all my brews, not at all necessary but I feel better about it.

I read on a recent thread, not sure if it was here or not, that some pilsner malts (Best) are fine with a 60 minute boil.

I’ve always done 60 min boils. Not to hijack the thread, but what is the rules of thumb for when to do a 90 vs a 60 min boil? Is it just certain grains or beer styles which might require a longer boil? With a 90 min boil is the first 30 mins boiling time without hops and then a regular hops schedule for the remaining 60 mins?

As always, thanks.

I used 100% weyerman german pils malt once. did a 60min boil. I experienced a lot of DMS flavors. and it was the first time i’ve ever detected DMS in any beer

like cooked cabbage, or sweet corn. very weird and unpleasant

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com