80 Minute Boil? - Resilience IPA

I’m on the second keg of my centennial IPA. I need to brew it again soon. Lite American Pils is next. Still want to get a schwarzbier in…

OK finally brewing this today. Anyone want to post their results?

Did some research at 2 breweries in town this one was 8% abv

This one said 6.5% on the board but on the beer list it said 7%

But was the brew good? Sneezles61

My kind of research.

Well the one from Bad Sons was slightly less ABV was the winner in flavor. They were both similar but I think the recipe is not strictly followed. Also now it has me wondering if the ABV affects the hop profile negatively as the ABV goes up. My brew was designed at 6.5% but may end up slightly higher depending on attenuation. I’m going to add a little more dry hops than the recipe I downloaded

1 Like

Neither one was a real hop bomb. Black Hog was quite mild you would never expect it to be 8% very sneaky beer

There has to be an affect… Just as there is sweet to bitterness by how much malt is in the grain bill… Sneezles61

[quote=“brew_cat, post:26, topic:26769, full:true”]
Also now it has me wondering if the ABV affects the hop profile negatively as the ABV goes up.[/quote]

As the OG of wort increases hop utilization decreases. So it makes sense that the higher ABV beer would be different.

1 Like

BU:GU ratio, right?

1 Like

Love me the BU:GU. It’s definitely my sanity check number.

Yes but I always used that as a bitterness ratio not flavor aroma ratio. That’s what I’m talking about

1 Like

I can add a heck of a lot of hops late that won’t affect the bu:hi ratio that much right?

2 Likes

Gotcha. yea that makes sense to me. Late hops add a smaller contribution to overall IBUs so they’d have less impact on the BU:GU ratio.

So yea I think OG and therefor the ABV andf any residual sweetness would have an impact on expression of late hops as well. I would think that higher OG beer with more residual sweetness might supress late hops expression a little while a higher ABV “dry” beer of the same OG might allow the late hops to pop more?

I don’t think the presence of a percent or two more alcohol affects hop expression does it?

I don’t know, you wouldn’t think so but as you say residual sweetness which is more related to FG

Color of malt too… you know how a little chocolate malt doesnt bring flavor as alot…
Some where there has/need to be a amortization chart that can help to describe the malt to hop parallels… Sneezles61

As @brew_cat indicated the BU:GU deals with bitterness. It will help identify when a beer is “balanced” in that regard.

Higher OG beers are unable to absorb isomerized alpha acids. Therefore they would be perceived as “sweeter.”

Process also deals a lot with beer perception. As we have been learning, the timing of additions, the process of whirlpooling, dry hopping, etc…

I found an article today that said whirlpooling and hop stand additions contribute to bitterness as well. My thought was they were primarily aroma additions. Is it that maybe that delay helped earlier hop additions contribute bitterness by delaying cooling? Maybe I’m chasing my tail… :joy:

That would make sense but I believe the majority of the bitterness is absorbed in the first 60 minutes. You may get a bit more but that’s another reason to chill your wort to 170 before you WP

3 Likes

Good point, cooling. The article was talking about pre-cooling WP and hop stands.