80 Minute Boil? - Resilience IPA

I’d like to brew this beer:

Can someone explain the times that are in here? Is the idea to do an 80 minute boil instead of a 60 minute boil?

Thanks!

Tim

Not sure why they say boil for 80 min. I think that’s a a Sierra Nevada thing . What jumped out to me is the final gavity. I posted the same recipe in anther post

1 Like

I did a 90 minute boil this weekend and during that extra time I read up and the opinion is the longer boil times increase color and some malt profile through the Maillard reaction. Who knows if that is correct because the link below says Maillard reaction starts at 285F which you are never going to achieve via boiling a wort.

In this experiment it does deepen the color but as to flavor…

Oh and driving out DMS may be the main thing in all grain set ups…

1 Like

I’ve done a 90 minute boil a few times in the past with pilsen malt because people said you needed to. That’s been debunked for the most part I believe. Denny always said you didn’t need to do it because even pilsen malt is more modified now than in the past. I also never noticed much difference in color. I did notice darker color from pilsen malt when decocted but not from longer boil.

Well it’s important to keep the 90 min boil in our collective storytelling because when the zombie apocalypse happens who knows how well modified the neighboring town’s malt will be when we raid them for their resources.

4 Likes

You have been watching too many episodes of The Walking Dead.

1 Like

I probably do a 70 or 75 minute boil since I don’t add the hops until the hot break falls. When I drop my first addition at 45 I’ll only boil for 60. I’ll occasional do a 90 if my volume ends up high or BG is low. The 2-hearted recipe I’m looking at calls for 75 minute boil bittering drop at 45. I guess they have their reasons.

I did the 75 minute boil first time I brewed that recipe. Later dropped to 60 along with some other changes I made like changing the hops schedule around and increasing hops. Didn’t notice any difference.

1 Like

Me working to chance the recipy to a 60 min boil. Might do this one next thursday. First got to wait untill one fermentor empty. Right now all 4 are full

Are you talking about the Resilience IPA recipe? If so, how long has it been out there? I thought it was new, but perhaps I didn’t get the memo that it’s been out there a while.

I don’t think it’s new and it’s being brewed for giving Tuesday

1 Like

No I was responding to @brew_cat re the 2 hearted recipe.

1 Like

Brewing this today. Been a crazy brew day so far. New pup in the house…The mash seemed really thick…I may have made an IIPA by mistake…haha…guess my OG will tell me what I’ve got…

Details on the new pup?

Resilience or 2h ?

Resilience but it is barely a double…I think I lost count of my 5lb scoops of 2 row and ended up 5 lbs heavy. Looking like about 7.1 est abv. Adjusted the hops a little…

Only boiling 60 mins too.

to keep from derailing the thread too much…relocated here: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/dogs/25318/17

So here’s what I ended up doing…wanted to do the recipe as written but just couldn’t help myself…crazy brew day which I seem to have a lot of…maybe I shouldn’t wake and bake on brew days(gotta love D.C. and legal recreational)…Recipe is based on 80% efficiency. which is what I usually hit on bigger, thicker mashes like this one… 9 gallons 151F strike to 28 lbs grain…sparged for 13.5 gallons preboil at 1.062 collected about half gallon of wort from bag and saved for starters. 60 minute boil, Smelled amazing. 12 gals, 1.070 OG, started whilrpool at 170F and it ran for more than an hour while I took the new pup to get shots. pitched 2L starter, wy1056 at high K.

26 lbs Briess 2 Row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 92.9 %
2 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
2.20 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 31.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
2.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 Hop 7 10.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 6 Hop 8 14.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

:sunglasses: We’re gonna need some new emoji’s here… I hope the big shooters are paying attention…
I was looking at your grain bill and thought… WOW only 1.070… After doing the math thats right were it should be… I guess I’ve been too many small brews and forget stuff… Doppelbock not too far away… Sneezles61

I’m yet to get this one in. I ended up moving the 2H up.