Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

70 quart cooler is it to big

I want to make a mash tun looked at a coleman extreme 70 quart. I think I already know the answer but want more input. I going to be doing 5 gal. batches.

That’s the one I use and it works great.

Excessive open space will have an effect on heat loss. Though you can compensate by preheating more.

All but the largest of grain bills fit in my 48qt cooler. I would save $10 (MSRP) and buy the 52qt cooler.

See the “can I mash this” calculator to see how much grain you can fit in a cooler.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

that’s what I thought to big thanks for the info

I don’t even drop 1 deg in a 1 hour mash.

You do a great job in preheating your cooler.

48qt = 12 gallons. Holding ~30lb @ 1.25qt/lb.
52qt = 13 gallons. Holding ~33lb @ 1.25qt/lb.
70qt = 17.5g Holding ~44lb @ 1.25qt/lb.

44lbs is ~1.195OG in 5g @ 60% eff. Or 1.106 in 10g @ 65%

I don’t see a need to spend the money for space you will not use. If someone feels the extra insulation in the Extreme line is wort the price? To each their own. :wink:

nighthawk are you saying that any cooler will work. does the size have any bearing how the efficiency will turn out

I am not an expert…

I use the old 48qt Igloo cooler, ala Denny’s cheap and easy. I also brew on a friends SABCO 15g keg system.

Some people use the round coolers, some square “Cube” coolers, some rectangular.
Some people use a copper manifold, PVC manifold, or the SS braids.

Choose what you have available and brew with it.

Will a 70qdt cooler have a different efficiency than a 52qt because the grain bed is shorter? Possible. But can you rule out all the other variables and only blame it on grain bed depth?

I don’t think bed depth affects efficiency, maybe dead space although if you tip the MLT to run off as much wort as possible then you should be fine.

I adjust my qt/lb to try and fill my MLTs as much as possible to maintain mash temps, although I don’t sweat a few degree drop during a two hour mash.

Go 70 Qt and start doing 15 Gallon batches! :twisted:

I currently use a 48 qt coleman, but my wife just bought a 100 qt Igloo 5 day cooler. Hmmm, maybe I should start doing 20 Gallon batches…

a 70 qt is a great size for 10 gallon batches, you have plenty of room in it for even a very strong beer.

For 5 gallons, I’d say it’s too large. For those 1.045 beers that you might only have 7-8 lbs of grain in, it is just not a great design… lots of rooms for heat loss and a fair amount of dead space.

[quote=“Wahoo”]a 70 qt is a great size for 10 gallon batches, you have plenty of room in it for even a very strong beer.

For 5 gallons, I’d say it’s too large. For those 1.045 beers that you might only have 7-8 lbs of grain in, it is just not a great design… lots of rooms for heat loss and a fair amount of dead space.[/quote]
+1 I use a 70 qt Coleman Extreme on 5 gallon batches, and I’ll only drop a couple degrees over an hour if making a big beer, but it gets progressively worse as the grain bill gets smaller. Unless you are planning to go to 10 gallon batches in the near future, go with the 52 qt unit. Big enough to handle almost any grain bill for a 5 gallon batch, but not terribly oversized for session beers.

I use a 50 qt igloo cube cooler. It has been big enough for my strongest 6 gallon batches, and medium 12 gallon batches.

My experience has been that I lose less temperature with a full cooler. Even my smallest batches…dry stout with 6# grain…won’t lose more than 3f though.

[quote=“bstein”]Go 70 Qt and start doing 15 Gallon batches! :twisted:

I currently use a 48 qt coleman, but my wife just bought a 100 qt Igloo 5 day cooler. Hmmm, maybe I should start doing 20 Gallon batches…[/quote] just make sure you have a pump or that you can fill the carboys where the brew kettle is lol

thanks for all the post. I ended up with a 52 quart coleman extreme. now all I need to do is get the parts I need. thanks again.

if anyone has a parts list for this type of cooler you could post it, if not I’ll just look online thanks.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Or
http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com