So, I’m seven brews in and I decided to brew the same extract kit (Dawson’s Multi Grain Red) that I brewed in my debut in homebrewing, to see where I was and what I had learned in comparison. These items are things I learned from reading and searching this forum. Thank you to all! This forum is invaluable!
- Boil volume. Changed boil volume from 2 1/2 gal to 3 1/2 gal to utilize as much space as possible in my 5 gal kettle. I actually began doing this a couple of batches in
- Added 1/2 LME at 60 min and 1/2 at 15 min, instead of adding all of it at 60 min. The color is much lighter and closer to a red than the first time around
- Used Irish Moss in the boil to help clarify. It really works!
- Waited until wort was at fermentation temps to pitch, rather than pitching immediately after pouring the wort and additional water into the carboy the first time around
- Cracked open a bottle 1 week in to check for carbonation process, rather than waiting the full 2 weeks. IMO, the beer was over carbonated the first time around.
Brews to date:
Dawson’s Multi Grain Red
Sierra Madre Pale Ale
American Wheat (1/2 w/raspberry extract)
Caribou Slobber (my favorite so far)
St Paul Porter (w/vanilla beans)
Dawson’s Mulit Grain Red #2
I am continuing to experiment and learn new processes, but IMO this kit is much better the second time around thanks to the information on this forum. Love this hobby.