65% alcohol beer! Don't try this at home!

http://now.msn.com/beer-packs-astoundin ... ol-content

Found this while surfing the web this morning…very interesting!

:cheers:

Its called fortifying and its illegal for homebrewers afik.

It’s concentrated after fermentation, so it doesn’t really count. It’s kind of like distillation. At 65% and being made from malt, it is more like whisky than beer at that point.

I believe Sam Adam’s Utopias is still the highest ABV beer that undergoes no form of distillation. It’s about 26%.

Sounds like it’s made like an “Ice Bock” beer. I bet it would warm ya up in the winter time !!

homebrewers can fortify, but not freezer distill.

There’s a line there somewhere where it stops being “beer”, and they’ve clearly crossed it IMHO. For reference, standard strength whiskey is 80proof, or 40% alcohol. Also, if you’ve ever had fresh “white lightening” whiskey that hasn’t been aged, you know that without a few years of barrel aging it tastes like ass. I can’t imagine this would be any good.

I’m not entirely sure that is the purpose of this…

homebrewers can fortify, but not freezer distill.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

Fermenting apple juice and then heat distilling it gives you apple brandy.

Fermenting apple juice and then freeze distilling it gives you apple brandy.

Fermenting barley and then heat distilling it gives you whiskey.

Fermenting barley and then freeze distilling it gives you dishonest marketing.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]Fermenting apple juice and then heat distilling it gives you apple brandy.

Fermenting barley and then freeze distilling it gives you dishonest marketing.[/quote]
like eisbocks? :lol:

[quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“bunderbunder”]Fermenting apple juice and then heat distilling it gives you apple brandy.

Fermenting barley and then freeze distilling it gives you dishonest marketing.[/quote]
like eisbocks? :lol: [/quote]

Touché. :lol:

But you at least gotta give me this: distilling an ale until it’s stronger than most hard liquor changes the nature of the beverage a bit more than boosting doppelbock into barleywine territory does.

[quote=“bunderbunder”][quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“bunderbunder”]Fermenting apple juice and then heat distilling it gives you apple brandy.

like eisbocks? :lol: [/quote]

Touché. :lol:

But you at least gotta give me this: distilling an ale until it’s stronger than most hard liquor changes the nature of the beverage a bit more than boosting doppelbock into barleywine territory does.[/quote]that’s quite true. I agree with that statement.

I find it easiest to just add a shot or 2 of Everclear to a cheap store bought beer like PBR or Bud :shock:

:lol:

Were’s the all grain homebrew recipe?

I thought so also, but Denny C. posted regulations from the former ATF. Unfortunately, I can’t find the thread.

AFAIK, concentration by freezing isn’t illegal.

The distinction I’ve heard is that you’re not distilling. Distilling is removing alchol. Freezing is removing water. Apparently there is a legal distinction.

The distinction I’ve heard is that you’re not distilling. Distilling is removing alchol. Freezing is removing water. Apparently there is a legal distinction.[/quote]
that’s good to know. I’d always been told that it was illegal.

The distinction I’ve heard is that you’re not distilling. Distilling is removing alchol. Freezing is removing water. Apparently there is a legal distinction.[/quote]
I agree with Denny.
Freezing is NOT distilling.
So you can make your Ice Bock without worry.

I think there are plenty of reasons why distilling is illegal. Now I’m thinking about icing a beer. Then again, as an extract brewer, it’s just as easy to cheat and not dilute the final 5 gallons. :cheers: