5L flask question?

Yes I have a 5L flask that I use for yeast starter’s so my question is let say I do a 2L starter in my 5L flask an I need the step up my starter another 2L for 4L in total. Can one leave the previous 2L an just add the other 2L an let that ferment out an put that into the refrigerator so I can chilled an decant the starter. Or would I be better off doing the first 2L let that ferment out then put into the refrigerator to chill an then decant an then add the other 2L of wort?

I would make 2 liter first. Than cool it and decant. The yeast. Put this into a mason jar. Start a new yeast starter. Decant these as well. Than put them together. But if you have a 5 liter flask. And you need a 4 liter yeast starter. Why not. One session. Of 4 liter starter. Saves you time.

1 Like

What are you making that needs 4L starter?

I have a 5 liter erlenmeyer I’ve used on occasion for high gravity brews. It can enhance or shorten the process of stepping up a starter, or can be a good vessel for a single step larger starter. I’ve used it for higher gravity lagers mainly, doppelbock comes to mind.

Plus it just looks cool😎

1 Like

If you’re doing a two step starter you need to let the first step 2L ferment out, then cold crash it and pour off the beer, add your 4L of wort and let that ferment out. With starters that big I always cold crash and decant the spent beer before pitching to my intended wort. I just feel like a gallon is a lot to pour into fresh wort even if I’m doing a 10 gal batch.

3 Likes

Me do 1 liter starter. On 5 gal batch. And for 10 gal. Batch a 2 liter. Starter. What i did friday on my. 10 gal stout. A fresh. Yeast starter. And did use my. Rinsed. Washed. Yeast as well. See if this works. Its fermenting up a storm right now. Love the action of my speidal airlock

1 Like