50 lb grain storage

I can’t find where I read -freeze newly ordered grain for 4 days @ 0 F to kill any potential weevils.
True?
Or this site http://mypestprevention.com/2011/08/grain-weevils/ says
Freezing grains for a week may can also kill any weevil eggs already infesting foods [no temp mentioned].

And I have read about storing your grain in large zip lock type bags in sizes convenient for you like
1,2. 7, and 10lb.

Should I put the grain in the individual bags before or after freezing?

Big bag example

http://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Gallon-Jumb ... _sbs_hpc_1

I just store my grain in Home Depot or Lowes buckets. Lid on tight. Cool dry place.

For smaller amounts, I will vacuum seal 1lb bags or less and keep them all in the same airtight container.

FWIW, in the thousands of sacks of malt I’ve used, I’ve only had one exhibit an insect infestation, and that was after it had been sitting opened for months.

lucky you
I had 50 lbs go bad in 6 months
stored in 2 mega low mart bins and sealed with shipping tape

The bastards might have come with the grain

Freeze Grains to Avoid Weevils

http://lifehacker.com/5852404/freeze-gr ... id-weevils

Pest control expert Peder Hoyum recommends freezing as it will kill any active weevils and their eggs so that you don’t have any nasty surprises when you open that 15lb bag of awesome sushi rice you bought on Amazon. (ask me how I know) This is a good method to use on anything you buy in bulk

I just ordered 157lbs of grain… where the HELL am I suppose to store 157lbs of grain… FROZEN!!!

Seriously. Freezing 1lb bags is WAY overkill. If you buy a 55lb sack of grain, just pour it into a few homer buckets. Make sure the lids are good and tight. Keep them in a cool dry place.

[quote=“dobe12”]I just ordered 157lbs of grain… where the HELL am I suppose to store 157lbs of grain… FROZEN!!!

Seriously. Freezing 1lb bags is WAY overkill. If you buy a 55lb sack of grain, just pour it into a few homer buckets. Make sure the lids are good and tight. Keep them in a cool dry place.[/quote]+1
I have close to 100 pounds of grains currently and tomorrow will receive 330 pounds of 2-row from a bulk grain buy. I put mine in Utz pretzel containers and the rest goes in 7.5 gallon buckets with lids.

[quote=“dobe12”]I just store my grain in Home Depot or Lowes buckets. Lid on tight. Cool dry place.
…[/quote]

+1
Keep it simple, no need to get fancy.
I use large Rubbermaid storage containers. They work great, are easy to handle, and are stackable if space is an issue.

[quote]Keep it simple, no need to get fancy.
I use large Rubbermaid storage containers. They work great, are easy to handle, and are stackable if space is an issue.[/quote]

I also store my bulk bags in large rubbermaid containers and small amounts of specialty grain I put in ziplock bags that I also keep in the rubbermaid containers. There would be no way to fit a 50lb sack of grain in my freezer not to mention several since I never buy just one.

[quote=“Stardust”]lucky you
I had 50 lbs go bad in 6 months[/quote]
I think you were just unlucky this time out, and the small sample size is making you think it’s a bigger problem than it really is. If you want to go to all that effort, there’s nothing wrong with that, but statistically speaking it’s a lot of work for very little gain.

I use gamma seals. Wierd name, good product.

They are a little expensive but should last for a very long time and fit any 12" bucket.

I have about 6 or 7 buckets filled with base grains (one currently with munich). They are air and water tight, keep weevils and other nasties out, and make a cool sound while closing.

I got mine here: (I think some home depots carry them as well)

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/plastic_bucket_5_gallon_buckets_6_container_gamma_lid_lids.aspx

I had to toss 250 lbs of malt due to weevies coming coming awake in one sack and starting to spread… I stored it in the original sack until opened then in a bucket. Unless you have an air tight container the little creepies will crawl out. I tossed my infected sacks in the freezer as a stop gap and it took a while to kill them as they were all over the inside of the freezer. Weevils come in just about every grain product you can buy. I’ll freeze mine for 4 days just be sure from now on unless I plan on using it asap.

John

I have vague memories of packing wheat with dry ice for our “two-year supply” when I was a kid. Here’s a description of that

http://www.thefoodguys.com/dryice.html

I’ve never had bug problems, but I’d go with this instead of a freezer if I did.

Why would you throw out grain with weevils? They’re just protein and you’re boiling them anyway.

When I buy grains in bulk, I store them in 5 gallon buckets with lids from HD(one bucket holds 25lbs). Place in attic and they store for at least a year. But then, the attic gets down to 20*F in the winter.

[quote=“BrewingRover”]I have vague memories of packing wheat with dry ice for our “two-year supply” when I was a kid. Here’s a description of that

http://www.thefoodguys.com/dryice.html

I’ve never had bug problems, but I’d go with this instead of a freezer if I did.[/quote]

If the co2 is killing the bugs, one could install a tire stem to a plastic pail, near the bottom. Put a air chuck on a line from your co2 bottle and purge the o2 out of the pail.

Haven’t had a bug problem myself.

Well not just weevils but weevil dust so to speak from the weevils eating for some time if you know what I mean…

I did boil with some that only had a small weevil infestation…

John

[quote=“Quincy”][quote]Keep it simple, no need to get fancy.
I use large Rubbermaid storage containers. They work great, are easy to handle, and are stackable if space is an issue.[/quote]

I also store my bulk bags in large rubbermaid containers and small amounts of specialty grain I put in ziplock bags that I also keep in the rubbermaid containers. There would be no way to fit a 50lb sack of grain in my freezer not to mention several since I never buy just one.[/quote]
I have a huge chest freezer and a fridge size freezer. The grain won’t stay in the freezer,
if will be removed after 4 to 7 days.
the one and only bag of bag of grain I bought from an Store in alpharetta ga got full of weevils,
stored in sterilite bins in a interior closet

Sounds like you just got unlucky. Bugs in grain isn’t common. I’m in a brewclub with over 170 members and I participate in group bulk grain buys ever few months with 40-50 guys that order 2 palettes of grain at a time. As far as i know, no one freezes their grain. And very few have ever had a weevil issue.

Homer or Lowes buckets. Good seal on the lid. Cool dry place. Done!

Now if your grain comes in to you with bugs already, ok. I could see freezing it to kill off the bugs, but in that case, I’d be calling the company and looking for a refund.

If you have one weevil egg in your grain it might take up to 3 months to see a weevil and another 3 months to see hundreds and another 3 months to see thousands… so if you use your grain and don’t let it sit for a year like I did you may never see a weevil even though you may have a few per sack. Cooler temperatures slow the life cycle down so yea sealed up tight to keep from letting the little buggers from getting in and out and cool temperatures to slow the life cycle down and you may never ever have a problem. It doesn’t seem to be associated with the quantity you purchase but rather how quickly you use it up and if your unlucky to have one weevil egg in the sack.

John

[quote=“johnplctech”]I had to toss 250 lbs of malt due to weevies coming coming awake in one sack and starting to spread… I stored it in the original sack until opened then in a bucket. Unless you have an air tight container the little creepies will crawl out. I tossed my infected sacks in the freezer as a stop gap and it took a while to kill them as they were all over the inside of the freezer. Weevils come in just about every grain product you can buy. I’ll freeze mine for 4 days just be sure from now on unless I plan on using it asap.

John[/quote] Insert clinking glasses here donno why I can’t make smiles work on this forum