Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

5 gallon carboy for primary

I have my bucket for primary in use, and was wondering if anyone ever uses their 5 gallon carboy for secondary? Would their be enough room?

Yes, it’s enough. I use 2 - 6.5 gallon glass carboys for my primary stages and 5 gallon glass carboys for my secondary. There’s plenty of space for the beer itself. The only reason I use a 6.5 gallon for primary is to give the krauzen much more room to grow before it hits the airlock.

A 5 gallon carboy is definitely enough for secondary for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

for secondary? thats what they are made for

HA! I just read my post. I meant to say 5 gallon carboy for primary.

sure if you make a 4g batch or so

you will probably have blow-off, be sure to have a blowoff hose in some vodka or sanitizer. there is also a product called fermcap that will keep it from blowing off. i primary in glass carboys, but i usually put my 5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon carboy, and 6 gallon batches in my 6.5 gallon carboy

You will absolutely have a lot of blow off if u have a normal fermentation.

Probably right, even if it is used for a 4 gallon batch (though you might squeek by without a blowout if you pitched right).

I still do my ferments in carboys, and always use a 6.5 gal or 7 gal carboy for a 5 gal batch. Haven’t had a blowout in more than 15 years.

I’d say either switch to a bucket for your fermentation or get a hold of a larger carboy. After all…why lose healthy yeast and beer through a blowoff tube when you don’t have to?
Carboys may have gone up in price in recent years, but they’re still not prohibitively expensive.

Probably right, even if it is used for a 4 gallon batch (though you might squeek by without a blowout if you pitched right).

I still do my ferments in carboys, and always use a 6.5 gal or 7 gal carboy for a 5 gal batch. Haven’t had a blowout in more than 15 years.

I’d say either switch to a bucket for your fermentation or get a hold of a larger carboy. After all…why lose healthy yeast and beer through a blowoff tube when you don’t have to?
Carboys may have gone up in price in recent years, but they’re still not prohibitively expensive.[/quote]

if he does 5g in a 5g carboy he will have blow off no doubt about it. If he knocks it down to 4g he may be ok. Its not a big deal if he does just have to throw a hose on it. Althogh doing 5g in a 5g carboy you might loose a lot flavor compounds because you will be blowing a lot of stuff off

I used to do all my 5g batches in a 5g carboy and on average I probably lost a pint or two. Big beers or active fermentations like weinhenstephan, a quart or two. Not ideal, but certainly doable. I did it for many years.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com