5.0 cf or 7.0 cf chest freezer for fermentation chamber

So I was looking on homedepot.com and the 5.0cf and the 7.0cf chest freezer appear to be the same price. Just wondering if the added space will be useful for anything. 5.0cf appears it will be able to fit 2 carboys. I hate to pay the price for less but if I’m never going to use the extra space I see no point in taking up the space in my basement.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft ... pzmtuKrEyA http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-0-cu-ft ... pzmwOKrEyA

models/brands differ, but I would say go with the 7.0, especially if its the same amount of $.

I have a 7, and I was able to fit 3 5-gallon fermenters in there recently (though one was diagonal and had the a diagonal krausen line to match on the inside!).

Space is good.

If you are planning on lagering the extra space can be used to chill bottled beer.

Have you actually tried? I went through a similar debate. I HAD a 5.0 for frozen food; and wanted to get a more convenient upright for the food; then using the 5.0 for my beer. 2 carboys did not fit in my 5.0 because of the little ledge over the compressor.

I ended up buying a 7.1 for the beer. it’s about priorities.

Have you actually tried? I went through a similar debate. I HAD a 5.0 for frozen food; and wanted to get a more convenient upright for the food; then using the 5.0 for my beer. 2 carboys did not fit in my 5.0 because of the little ledge over the compressor.

I ended up buying a 7.1 for the beer. it’s about priorities.[/quote]

No I just went based on the mesaurements of the unit but that was very roughly guesstimating the width of the walls and such. 7cf it is! Hopefully the wife buys this for me for xmas :slight_smile:

Same price and for a ferm chamber I would go larger. Have fun lifting those full buckets/carboys up into this thing all the time. I already hate moving mine just to the basement to sit muchness want to be lifting it into a freezer.

Yeah my back isn’t in the greatest shape either but a couple times a month, I’ll deal with it :slight_smile:

My personal motto is that if I am not able to lift a 5 gallon fermenter into a freezer, I probably shouldn’t be drinking the beer I am making (or at least as much of it!)

The key is to bend from your lower back, then midway through the lift into the freezer, twist your torso like you are swinging a baseball bat or golf club.

Better yet. Heft the fermentor up to the lip of the freezer. Get in the freezer while supporting the fermentor so it can’t fall of course. Then move the fermentor off the lip and down to your new foot level. This is far safer for your back as the lowering in operation over a wall is seriously stressfull to your back.

Barry

Has anyone just used a carboy carrier and a pulley to do the lifting?