3rd AG batch today

Well, I successfully brewed my 3rd AG batch today, NB’s Cream Ale. I did a fly sparge, which seemed a little tricky, as I was constantly adjusting the flow out of both my MT and HLT. But, I hit the nail on the head with my OG, and right at 5 Gal in the fermenter. The only problem was, I bought and received a Bayou burner this week, and didn’t try lighting it until it was time to boil. It’s defective. so I had to boil it on the stove top. They’re sending another burner to me. But, I’m really excited about this AG brewing! It’s really cool! And to think I was so intimidated by AG brewing.

Paul

[quote=“paultuttle”] But, I’m really excited about this AG brewing! It’s really cool! And to think I was so intimidated by AG brewing.
Paul[/quote]
I here ya there! I’ve gotten back into AG again after a long stray from it. Got a batch ready to do out on the deck tomorrow (Innkeeper). I don’t think I’ll be tackling 3 in one day anytime soon.
Mike

I think AG brewing is way simpler than most people think. Me included until I jumped in and did it.

Actually all grain can be done very simply on the stove top with minimal equipment.

http://gnipsel.com/beer/procedures/EasyAllGrain.htm

John

Thanks, John. I think I’ve seen that before. I just brewed the whole 6.5 gallons on the stove top. I was a little nervous about the weight of it sittle on the glass top, but I was able to get a really good boil, and hit my OG right on the money. I’m supposed to get my replacement burner this week, so I’ll be able to do it outside. Now to figure out a way to contend with the Wyoming wind, where 50MPH is a gentle breeze.

Paul

Paul, your welcome. Yea, 50 MPH winds can be tough to deal with. You can bet your evaporation rate will go up when it is windy. I started keeping track of the weather conditions when I boil to get some idea of how what affects what when the humidity and wind change up.

John

I hadn’t really considered the evap rate as to the weather. I will start taking notes.

Thanks John