Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

35th Anniversary Party

I’m trying to get a couple of beers ready for a party on Saturday and need help. I have a 5 gallon Fat Tire clone that was kegged lasted night and a 5 gallon double IPA that was put in secondary last Friday (3 days ago).

My question is = can I keg the IPA and leave the dry pellet hops (muslin bag) in for a couple more days or should I leave the IPA in secondary to dry hop for a few more days, then keg and carbonate? Either way, what PSI schedule?

ie. how do I get these 2 beers ready for Saturday?

Chill the beer, put on co2 at 30 psi for 3 days, purge and set to serving psi for whatever time is left. It will be close.

I’ve put a muslin bag of dry hop pellets in my keg and left it in while drinking. I’d consider this since you’ll get more carbonation time this way.

You can even use some thin fishing line to attach to the muslin bag and through the keg lid to keep it away from the dip tube.

I checked the Fat Tire clone last night that has been on 30 PSI since Sunday night and it was not quite there. That makes me pretty sure the IPA is a couple of days behind.

What can I do to infuse more CO2 so that they will be ready tomorrow evening?

Is it cold? I cannot believe that 4 plus days of force carbing at 30 psi is still under carbonated. I put a beer on 30 psi Sunday night and forgot to reduce the pressure on Wednesday night. It was over carbonated when I changed it last night.

You can take it out and roll it on the floor for 10 minutes or so every couple hours, with th gas on, of course. Some people do this to force carb a beer for a party the next day.

It is cold, it’s been in the fridge the whole time.

Should I put the gas on the out side of the keg and roll it on the ground?

[quote=“Sooner49er”]It is cold, it’s been in the fridge the whole time.

Should I put the gas on the out side of the keg and roll it on the ground?[/quote]

I’ve only kegged two beers, but had great results with this method:

hook it up, set it to 25-30, roll it back and forth for approx. 3-5 min until it stops gurgling. Set it back to 15 or so and leave overnight. It should be carbed the next day. Bleed off most (but not all) of the CO2 from the valve. Dial the regulator back to 6-7 (serving pressure), and dispense.

[quote=“Sooner49er”]It is cold, it’s been in the fridge the whole time.

Should I put the gas on the out side of the keg and roll it on the ground?[/quote]

You should not need to hook to the out side and that would be a hassle, plus pointless if rolling it on the ground.

Just checking, when you pull the pressure release valve, do you hear gas going into the keg?

Yes

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com