3 gallon batch as a starter?

I’d like to brew a stout with London ESB 1968 WYeast.

Instead of making a starter, I am thinking of brewing a 3 gallon batch with a pack of 1968, then using slurry for stout.

normally I would make a low gravity 5 gallon batch (I never make starters), and then use slurry for next batch and then use for several generations.

but I just got a few of the cute little 3 gallon carboys…

so, does this work?

1 pack WYeast in a 3 gallon batch of 1.062 OG?

thanks for any thoughts!

Yes you can do this and I often do for lagers. One thing… you may not want to make a 3 gal batch in a 3 gal fermenter. You can still use a 5 gal carboy as the CO2 will push out headspace O2.

Or just do a 2 gallon starter in the 3 gallon carboy. You got me thinking that I should be doing this also as I have two 3 gallon carboys sitting around not getting used.

good ideas, thanks!!!

Was thinking the same thing:

Do a low gravity batch first (Patersbier) and then pitch a Tripel onto the slurry. If the first beer uses slightly different hops (and some do get into the slurry) does this influence the taste of the second batch a lot?

[quote=“pete_brewer”]Was thinking the same thing:

Do a low gravity batch first (Patersbier) and then pitch a Tripel onto the slurry. If the first beer uses slightly different hops (and some do get into the slurry) does this influence the taste of the second batch a lot?[/quote]
If it’s a low hopped beer, it shouldn’t. If I’m going reuse yeast, I’ll boil the hops in a bag to lessen the trub a bit.