3-Day Caribou Slobber Primary Fermentation?

First-time brewer here: I brewed my first batch last Saturday afternoon. All went well, except I forgot to take an O.G. reading, and it seems to have stalled or something…

Anyway, it seemed to be going well. Stored the fermenter in the basement at 67°F. After just 5-ish hours, it was bubbling away and looked like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74530077/2016-03-12%2019.27.54.jpg Cool! The instructions said it should start bubbling withing 48 hours, so it seemed a bit quick.

3 days later, on Tuesday, I checked it again and all the krausen had disappeared and there was no action in the airlock. Uh-oh, that doesn’t seem right, as the directions say 1-2 weeks. But I had to go out of town for a few days for work, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt leaving it to sit. I returned today and it looks just as it did on Tuesday. So i moved it to a slightly warmer room to see if it was just a bit too cold for the yeast, while I await your recommendations. Could it possibly be done fermenting, and OK to move to secondary already? Thanks.

Looking at it won’t tell you…. take a sample, check yer gravity,taste it too…. then do again in a couple of days… Just like cooking steaks on the grill, the temp will let you know when its ready, not looking…. Sneezles61

Your Slobber probably fermented 70° to 71°F at an ambient temperature of 67°. Check the specific gravity. Check it again in a few days, you’re most likely at FG. Give it some more time to clear and you are ready to bottle.

Thanks for the quick replies. From what I understand, I don’t really have to worry about hitting a specific F.G. (since I have no O.G. to compare to) but rather I’m looking for a consistant F.G. over several days?

I was planning on moving it to a secondary for a couple weeks; @flars, is this not needed? I now I’ve seen pros and cons of it all over the interwebz, and am honesty quite overwhelmed by it, so I figured I’d just do it since the instructions say so…

Check the gravity a couple times over a 3-4 day period. If its the same each time then fermentation is done.

Moving to secondary is a debate that will be discussed forever it seems. Some people never do it and some always do.

I personally do use a secondary. I just like to clarify my beer as much as I can. Doing a secondary helps with that. In the end it is up to you. Maybe try the same beer with a secondary and another time without? That should give you a solid personal indicator on whether or not YOU think its worth it.

My $.02. Cheers!

The clarification is the primary reason I was planning on it. I suppose I could bottle half and secondary the other half for a direct comparison on the same batch, so there are no other variables… Thanks!

Good plan if you can find a small carboy to use as the secondary vessel. A carboy can be filled into the neck to minimize the surface area exposed to the air. Off gassing CO2 doesn’t last very long as a protective blanket in a large headspace. The headspace area soon equalizes with the gases in the atmosphere.

I usually leave my beers in the primary for at least three weeks to clear. Trub/yeast layer compacts in this time maximizing the amount of beer siphoned to the bottling bucket.

I might try a secondary again for something like a highly carbonated Tripel. Aim is to get the maximum volume out of the bottle. High carbonation with a few specks of sediment means immediate crazy foaming in the glass.

If this was an extract kit and you followed the instructions then everything went even close to how it should have, the OG should have been pretty close to what the kit says. You temp was high enough so it may very well have fermented out. So the answer is still check the gravity. 1.01x or something close should be it. If it stays there for a few days, it’s done.

Leaving it in primary for a while is also OK. It is tough to do on your first ones but relax and you will come out with some great beer.

1 Like

F.G. was 1.020 for a few days, so I racked it to secondary today. Thanks for the input!

I taste-tested my gravity sample, and while it had good flavor, it seemed quite ‘sharp’; Definitely undrinkable for more than a test. I’m assuming this would be pretty normal prior to a bit of aging and the priming sugar being added?

The priming sugar shouldn’t add sweetness, it should allow the yeast in suspension to ferment and release CO2, thus carbing yer brew… Sneezles61

If it tastes hot…it could be fusel alcohols from fermentation…which should mellow over time.