25 gallons of BB porter - what to add?

friend and i are pulling off 55 gallons of porter that’s been sitting in a burbon barrel for a few weeks. i’ll get about 25 gallons of it, need to split off to 5 gal kegs. problem is, wife and i are not a huge porter fans and i think we’ll get bored quickly.

any ideas for adjuncts that have worked well for you all? i’m going to throw some dried chipotles in one keg and a pound of coffee in another.

extra points if you can help me out with the AMOUNT and length of time for the thing you suggest.

well if it wasn’t bourbon aged I’d say PEANUT BUTTER! But, since it is I highly recommend some vanilla extract.

For 5 gallons:

2oz of French oak chips
2-3 vanilla beans split, scraped, chopped
1.5 to 2 cups of bourbon

You can put all three in one batch. Or maybe add each to their own batch then blend some of each together to make a 4th. Timing on this really is dependent on taste. Add your extras, then taste after a few days. I added the oak, vanilla, bourbon to 2.5 gallons of a Russian Imperial Stout recently. I let it sit for a week, then bottled.

serious question. why did you make so much if you do not like it that much? had to ask… not being a wise-ass.

yeah, as i was typing the OP, i realized that would come up. i’m an IPA fan, but i understand that a lot of oak beers are stout/porters. the guys i’m in with dig dark beers. i’ll drink and enjoy it, for sure, but 25 gallons of (almost) anything begs for some experimentation, right?

to Hoppenheimer: how much extract have you had luck with? and peanut butter? never heard of that one.

Skip the vanilla extract and go for real beans. You’ll get better results. Use 2 per 5 gallons. Pull a sample often to get the beer how you like. You can soak the beans in bourbon too and pour it all in.

12-24 ounces of pure cherry or raspberry concentrate and repitch it with some Roeselare yeast and rack it into a 5 gallon fermenter. Let it sit for a year and go for a sour cherry porter. . . … That would give you something to do with a nice chunk of it.

The vanilla is a good option for some as well.

[quote=“Braufessor”]12-24 ounces of pure cherry or raspberry concentrate and repitch it with some Roeselare yeast and rack it into a 5 gallon fermenter. Let it sit for a year and go for a sour cherry porter. . . … That would give you something to do with a nice chunk of it.

The vanilla is a good option for some as well.[/quote]

wow, i like that idea. thanks, all

[quote=“baileyjoe”][quote=“Braufessor”]12-24 ounces of pure cherry or raspberry concentrate and repitch it with some Roeselare yeast and rack it into a 5 gallon fermenter. Let it sit for a year and go for a sour cherry porter. . . … That would give you something to do with a nice chunk of it.

The vanilla is a good option for some as well.[/quote]

wow, i like that idea. thanks, all[/quote]

I agree. Sounds awesome.

I bought two 32 ounce bottles of cherry conc. here:

http://stores.cherrylandsbest.com/-strs ... gories.bok

I used 24 ounces of one on a belgian golden that I am souring with roeselare right now.

Gonna use the other one to do the same with a stout in the next couple weeks hopefully.

Sounds like you need some drinking assistants. If you weren’t 2 states away I’d volunteer my services.

to Hoppenheimer: how much extract have you had luck with? and peanut butter? never heard of that one.[/quote]

Start light is my only advice. You can never go back once you’ve overdone it. But, everyone is right, real beans are better if you have access.

As far as the peanut butter situation goes I can never make it since my lady is deathly allergic to peanuts. But, the samples that I’ve had of other people who make it were really interesting and not at all unpleasant.

I vote for at least a small quality getting aged on chillies