2013 bigfoot

found a single 4pack of this at my local shop. very hard to come by in Hawaii…anyway, enjoying one now and it is as good as I remember from the last several years. great malt character and very nice hop presence. I hope I can scrounge up a couple more four packs to set aside for a few months. also had the rye up a this weekend…sweeter than I remember but still very good.

I’m going to have to try some. The first few times I had BF, I loved it, then something changed: I got a six and couldn’t finish it. Just lost my taste. I need to try it again.

I am having my first '13 right now. Much more bitter than I remember. I was a bit put off at first by how the pungent hops mask the malt, but by sip 3 or 4 I acclimate. Wouldn’t guess it’s 9.6 abv, drinks easy, could swap the snifter for a pint. I cant wait to taste this one down the road…I have 7 more and plan to open one annually. (might buy 4 more :smiley: )
This beer deserves it’s rep, it’s a fine beer that is rediculously cheap. Dollar to abv, it is no more expensive than a budweiser…a no brainer, stock the celler.

I drank three cases of BigFoot last year just finished my last one in December. Glad its out again don’t think that its made it to Michigan again yet but I know that its on its way.

Sucks that they are now only offering it in 4 packs but if it weren’t for that then Dave you probably wouldn’t be drinking it right now. Cheers!

This is one beer that I plan on attempting to brew soon.

I love the Bigfoot after a year or two. Some prefer it fresh, but its just too harsh for me at first - becomes a very enjoyable sipper for me after a bit of mellowing in the cellar.

I agree 100% love it with a year on it. I have already drank 3 4 packs of it in the last couple of weeks though.

“Freshness” is definitely overrated, particularly where beers like Bigfoot are concerned. Don’t get me wrong…Bigfoot tastes great upon release, but it becomes a truly beautiful thing after year or two.

It must get some aging at the brewery because even drunk fresh, it seems to not have an overabundance of the green hop taste common in so many modern microbrews. Clearly many beer lovers enjoy that taste, even though I do not (though I do enjoy highly hopped brews).
Different strokes, I guess.

This year’s BF is great as usual. The four-pack thing though is a turn-off…it equals a pretty steep price hike, considering that in the stores where I’ve seen it the four pack costs a dollar more than the six packs cost last year…

Copied from my post at the AHA forum:
Apparently they were breaking even at best on Bigfoot and went to four packs as a way to decrease the sticker shock when they raised the price:

http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/03/why-si ... o-4-packs/

I think I paid a dollar less for four than I did for a six last year. It still seems reasonable to me. Goose Island’s Bourbon County Stout went for $26 a six (and up)

[quote=“BrewingRover”]
Copied from my post at the AHA forum:
Apparently they were breaking even at best on Bigfoot and went to four packs as a way to decrease the sticker shock when they raised the price:

http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/03/why-si ... o-4-packs/

I think I paid a dollar less for four than I did for a six last year. It still seems reasonable to me. Goose Island’s Bourbon County Stout went for $26 a six (and up)[/quote]

Well, don’t get me wrong…SN’s Bigfoot is still one of the very few products of it’s type that is actually almost worth the higher price (most similarly priced products are not, IMNSHO).
I’ll still buy it without doubt, because I’m inspired by it and SN is still one of the best brewers out there …but maybe I’ll just be buying less of it. I certainly remain a huge fan of SN.

In the end, the nice perk with homebrewing is that you can equal or better most commercial products without the cost overhead that the commercial brewers need to factor in.

$25 for five gallons vs. $13 or $14 for 48 ounces (a 4-pack) represents pretty significant and highly motivating gap. :cheers:

[quote=“The Professor”]
$13 or $14 for 48 ounces (a 4-pack)[/quote]
That seems like an unreasonable markup even for it having traveled to the East Coast. It runs in the $8-9 range in most areas. However… even a $13 it’s a deal, that’s $4 and coin a Pint, I’ve had a lot worse for that pricepoint.
Has anyone tried the Barrel Aged Bigfoot this year or previous? I scored a 2013 750ml bottle last month, I’m not sure how long I should sit on it before enjoying… being it has supposedly been aged already.

I picked up a 4 pack but have not opened one yet. I typically like to save at least one to try a year or two later.

I had a 2010 sitting in my fridge to hold and do a taste test this year; but last summer I was working in the yard and my wife comes out and says “I brought you a beer”; yep it was opened and it was my last Bigfoot. I smiled, thanked her and drank it.

Not exactly what I was looking for a summer brew; but I enjoyed it anyway. I never told her I was saving that one. :smiley: