2011 SN Celebration

Picked up a sixer of celebration at the local grocery store last night. My first impression was “damn the bitterness is harsh” but as it warmed a bit it became more mellow. Anyone else try this year’s offering yet?

I’ve had a fair amount already. This is my favorite seasonal release by far. I love how the bitterness plays off the sweetness of the malt and the late hops shine through.

Celebration has always been a great brew. And it has always tasted MUCH better when not served freezing cold. It’s just too good a beer for that kind of mistreatment.

I bought a sixer at Halloween. First time I have ever had it, and it was delicious. It had the perfect level of bitterness IMO.

Celebration has always been a great brew. And it has always tasted MUCH better when not served freezing cold. It’s just too good a beer for that kind of mistreatment.[/quote]
Indeed. I have a beer fridge in the basement that I keep as warm as the thermostat will go and the regular fridge in the kitchen. I had a Celebration that had been in the regular fridge all day and it was amazing how the flavors were muted by the colder temp.

Picked up a sixer this evening at my local shop. Quick chilled one and had it with my steak at dinner tonight. Great as usual. I think I have a few bottles of at least 3 or 4 different years of this still in my beer fridges. It’s about time for a vertical!!!

It’s good, but I don’t remember previous years being fresh hop IPAs. I have bottles (empty) in storage. What do your bottles say?

I just picked up a sixer after returning from a week in Jamaica where my only beer choices were Red Stripe and Red Stripe light. All I can say is “ohhh yeah, that’s the stuff”. Hoppy, gorgeous, malty… even has the slight bit of alcohol flavor I remember from last year’s. Props for the consistency with this amazing seasonal.

Looked tonight and they changed the neck label last year. By “fresh hop” I think they’re meaning hops from this year’s crop, not wet hops like the Harvest Ale. Whatever they did, it’s still great beer!

Looked tonight and they changed the neck label last year. By “fresh hop” I think they’re meaning hops from this year’s crop, not wet hops like the Harvest Ale. Whatever they did, it’s still great beer![/quote]

Top quality beer and brewery. If you’re ever near Chico, CA (within 2000 miles) I’d recommend a visit.

Looked tonight and they changed the neck label last year. By “fresh hop” I think they’re meaning hops from this year’s crop, not wet hops like the Harvest Ale. Whatever they did, it’s still great beer![/quote]

Yes, that’s exactly what they mean. They use the term “wet hop” when referring to their Hemisphere Harvest series ( which are also amazing beers ).

Has anybody seen this stuff in Missouri? My local store carries SN, but no Celebration yet. They’ve had Tumbler for a month or more - not my cup of beer.

My store finally got Celebration - tangy, bitter, frakkin delicious. Definitely beats Tumbler.

Anybody notice that there is a lot more sediment in the bottle this year? I’ve noticed this in several of SN bottle-conditioned products. Abundant, loose and powdery, not sparse and compact as is usually the case

I just poured one a couple of minutes ago, it has a thin layer of yeast.

:evil: I wonder what gives?

I didn’t notice this in the three sixers of Celebration I bought or the sixer of Torpedo. I’m all IPAed out after those.
:cheers:

Torpedo is filtered if I recall correctly. The pale ale is bottle conditioned like Celebration. I’m taking a picture so you guys don’t think I’m crazy.

edit: OK, so here’s a fuzzy picture: