2011 Pellet Hops

Styrian, Saaz and EKG are in at Hops Direct. Just placed my order. Time for some Belgian Brewing.

I just checked out hopsdirect, it looks like a lot of their 2011 domestic varieties are already sold out!

They had Citra for about 3 hours the day they released them. I was trying to be good and not shop at work and they were sold out before I even left for the day.

Freshops still has a good selection of leaf hops available. They still had Amarillo and Citra last I looked.

I should jumped on it when Northern Brewer still had Citra, but now they’re sold out too. Sucks Hops Direct is already out of a bunch of their hops.

I bought 7 lbs a couple weeks ago, shortly after they posted the new crop was up for sale.

Magnum
Mt. Hood
Cascade
Amarillo
Columbus
Centennial
Chinook

[quote=“gregscsu”]I bought 7 lbs a couple weeks ago, shortly after they posted the new crop was up for sale.

Magnum
Mt. Hood
Cascade
Amarillo
Columbus
Centennial
Chinook[/quote]

That sounds like my freezer! Unfortunately I misted out on the Citra but I can honestly deal without it. I would love to find some Pellet Simcoe at a decent price but no luck yet. That is something I need and will probably end up gettin leaf from freshops.

[quote=“gregscsu”]I bought 7 lbs a couple weeks ago, shortly after they posted the new crop was up for sale.

Magnum
Mt. Hood
Cascade
Amarillo
Columbus
Centennial
Chinook[/quote]

That’s my freezer too, with the addition of Hallertau Mittelfrueh, Galena, Northern Brewer and Fuggles. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

That’s a lot of hops!

How do you guys store them? I guess it would be good to get a vacuum sealer and maybe buy smaller O2 barrier bags and just divide them up. I never thought about buying in bulk to save money but it seems to be a lot cheaper.

[quote=“bd1000”]That’s a lot of hops!

How do you guys store them? I guess it would be good to get a vacuum sealer and maybe buy smaller O2 barrier bags and just divide them up. I never thought about buying in bulk to save money but it seems to be a lot cheaper.[/quote]
FoodSaver vacuum sealer. Works great and always feels good to have a nice supply of hops on hand in the freezer.
Especially when you’ve got a nice surplus of hard to find hops when the shortages start. :slight_smile:

[quote=“bd1000”]That’s a lot of hops!

How do you guys store them? I guess it would be good to get a vacuum sealer and maybe buy smaller O2 barrier bags and just divide them up. I never thought about buying in bulk to save money but it seems to be a lot cheaper.[/quote]
I gota admit I’m a bit lazy that way. I just roll up the 1 lb. bag they came in to purge out as much air as I can & use one of those spring paper clips to hold it shut. I have hops over a year old in the chest freezer (not the fridge freezer) that are just fine. Some hops store better than others though. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

[quote=“hamiltont”][quote=“bd1000”]That’s a lot of hops!

I gota admit I’m a bit lazy that way. I just roll up the 1 lb. bag they came in to purge out as much air as I can & use one of those spring paper clips to hold it shut. I have hops over a year old in the chest freezer (not the fridge freezer) that are just fine. Some hops store better than others though. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!![/quote]
They’ll lose their AA% though. I did the same thing and recently bought a vacuum sealer. I’m kind of wondering if the hops lose a lot of their aroma characteristics too after having them in ziplocs with as much of the air squeezed out as possible. I went ahead and vacuum sealed all of them this past weekend.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“hamiltont”][quote=“bd1000”]That’s a lot of hops!

I gota admit I’m a bit lazy that way. I just roll up the 1 lb. bag they came in to purge out as much air as I can & use one of those spring paper clips to hold it shut. I have hops over a year old in the chest freezer (not the fridge freezer) that are just fine. Some hops store better than others though. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!![/quote]
They’ll lose their AA% though. I did the same thing and recently bought a vacuum sealer. I’m kind of wondering if the hops lose a lot of their aroma characteristics too after having them in ziplocs with as much of the air squeezed out as possible. I went ahead and vacuum sealed all of them this past weekend.[/quote]
I just use the O2 barrier bags they come in. No ziplocks. Seems to work okay, but my palate really can’t tell the difference in a few IBU’s. :wink: YMMV. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

Awesome, maybe I’ll pick up a vacuum sealer to do that, I’ve wanted one for food stuff anyway. It would pay for itself after awhile I guess.

Now time to plan up some more IPAs!

[quote=“bd1000”]Awesome, maybe I’ll pick up a vacuum sealer to do that, I’ve wanted one for food stuff anyway. It would pay for itself after awhile I guess.

Now time to plan up some more IPAs![/quote]
It’s a great investment! And IPAs rock! Especially the black ones…

[quote=“bd1000”]Awesome, maybe I’ll pick up a vacuum sealer to do that, I’ve wanted one for food stuff anyway. It would pay for itself after awhile I guess.

You just missed a really good deal on a FoodSaver V2450.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“bd1000”]Awesome, maybe I’ll pick up a vacuum sealer to do that, I’ve wanted one for food stuff anyway. It would pay for itself after awhile I guess.

You just missed a really good deal on a FoodSaver V2450.[/quote]
I got in on that deal. $75 for a $120 vacuum sealer. Sold!

Update- I got a vacuum sealer for Christmas and ordered 5lbs of pellets. I split up two bags into 1 oz packs and then bagged those into 5oz for a second layer of plastic. My freezer is getting cramped. It was a lot of work to weigh and seal up 16 oz’s but think it’s worth the savings. I could have went with larger portions but figured 1 oz was best.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“bd1000”]Awesome, maybe I’ll pick up a vacuum sealer to do that, I’ve wanted one for food stuff anyway. It would pay for itself after awhile I guess.

You just missed a really good deal on a FoodSaver V2450.[/quote]
I got in on that deal. $75 for a $120 vacuum sealer. Sold![/quote]

I was excited, I got
http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8316
for my birthday. Mother in law hooked me up. They were on sale at BJs for around $105.

[quote=“bd1000”]Update- I got a vacuum sealer for Christmas and ordered 5lbs of pellets. I split up two bags into 1 oz packs and then bagged those into 5oz for a second layer of plastic. My freezer is getting cramped. It was a lot of work to weigh and seal up 16 oz’s but think it’s worth the savings. I could have went with larger portions but figured 1 oz was best.[/quote]I prefer to leave mine in the bag until brew day where I take out what I need and re-seal the rest. If you leave a few inches on the bag, you can reseal it several times.

Exactly…I buy my bags on a roll (as opposed to pre-cut). If you make the bag around 30% bigger than you need for the contents (or less if the contents isn’t that large) you can reseal it quite a few times.